AuthorTopic: Underneath Protection advice please  (Read 782 times)

Offline Brian the Sn@il

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
  • Referrals: 0
Underneath Protection advice please
« on: November 26, 2007, 17:16:22 »
Next up is underneath Protection on the RR classic

Its a 1990 model  and has a Rear Tow Bar ( which i have used to tow with )

Can anyone provide me with a 1st timers guide to What to buy for under body protection please

Nothing flash Like Stainless Steel, but things that actually work

Front Steering Protection
DIff Protection and Fuel tank protection

Any information will be much appreciated

Brian
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 17:27:04 »
Well a steering guard would be a good idea, look for one that has hi-lift sockets and towing eyes too and you're pretty much sorted at the front.  Mine has an ali plate so it's lighter than steel ones (though it's missing the jacking points)

If you buy fabricated JATE rings then you can bend them apart to fit over the bumper mounts, that's what I've had to do.

Diffs, you can't really beat the QT style diff guards, these wraparound from front to back and protect the underneath as well as the thinner diff "pan".  Fit these front and rear.  I've seen the clamp on style slip off when recovering (going backwards) and they don't protect the underside.  You can now get a clamp on style that also wraps around but I don't see the point.  IIRC Paddocks do a QT copy pair.

Back end, the tow hitch will start to get on your nerves.  I've seen them cut down before now but eventually I think you'll want a removable hitch, the socket for which gives you plenty of recovery potential.  Now if you want a tank guard too then I'd suggest the Southdown style one, speak to Guardian as I belileve he does a very good one in that style.

Next thing I guess is rock sliders or tree sliders.  My personal fave is the First Four style, chassis mount only with hi-lift sockets and no tree sliders, but I don't play in the woods.

Put in order for your motor then

Diff guards
Steering guard with recovery
Tank Guard
Sill guards/sliders

I have dan bars but havn't needed them yet, they are still in the packet.

As always I suggest you go out laning with other club members and look at what gear they have bought.  Get an honest review from them before parting with your cash.

My vehicle spec is in my profile page, feel free to browse and ask questions :wink:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 17:32:04 »
Many thanks for the Information RRB, its appreciated mate :)

As with many others, its good to get it Right First Time and not go down the route of Trying things and finding out they are not any good.

Best to get it from the Wise Offroaders ;) :)
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
RRC
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 20:42:36 »
I am getting my RRc some protection. Made a rear bumper, ( coz I bent the original)really easy, but must remember not to make it too strong, or the chassis gives first. Got a dead good steering guard for £35 (Ebay) and an old tow bracket to cut down, 99p, again, ebay.
Will soon be fabricating rock sliders to match the bumper.
Going to bin the bull bar and mount the lights on the roof.
Got the clamp on diff guards, but will change for QT type.
Thats the priority stuff sosted, until some thing else breaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal