AuthorTopic: How high can i go on my V8 without problems  (Read 1017 times)

Offline v8rangie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How high can i go on my V8 without problems
« on: November 22, 2007, 20:13:34 »
Just done a quick search but didnt find much.

i have a RRC V8 and was wondering how high can i go with a suspension lift without changing the props etc...

Would 3" with Castor correction be too much?

Guardian.

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 20:14:28 »
no

Offline iomlr

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:33:00 »
Quote from: "Guardian."
no

yes it would! especially if you  have castor correction  arms on! you'll need to change prop's and brake hoses.

you'd get away with  2 inches or possible 3 with standard radius arms on but defonately not with corrected arms on.

on a 2 inch lift you would not need these radius arms on, orignal Land rover ones will be fine and plus there alot stronger than any other.
Bobtail Range Rover 300tdi Manual
Body lifted, Gywn Lewis Challenge Suspension. Mach 5's with Jungle trekker Tyres ARB Locking Diffs Front and Rear. Steering Guard and Axel / Track Rod Guard. Modified bumpers front and rear Custome Rock sliders. Roccia Comp Arches,  Eleci Fans with X switch.

V8 90 County Defender. Rebuilt with galvanised chassi and bulkhead, Tubular sports manifodls and sports pipe. Old Man Emu suspension, under axel guard. BFGoodrich Muds on Mods.

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 17:04:02 »
raised mine last week and id say its close to a 3 inch lift on Britpart Springs.

No problems ( apart fromt he CV joint going today )

Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Guardian.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 17:24:26 »
have you ever lifted anything?
drop the castor correction arms as they just bind the ujs up even more, in my opinion.
ive lifted 4" with everything standard except the shocks and springs of course, and longer brake pipes up front.
i drive like a loony and cover lot of miles and they are fine, 3 or 4 inches there is a noticeable difference, and this varies from vehicle to vehicle, but it aint that bad.
most important thing i think is have the tracking set after by someone who actually knows how to do it properly!
oh, and buy a pallet of ujs, as if you are offroading you will chew them up very quickly, again i got thousands of miles out of ours but only motorway driving!!
if your worried about caster get a new set of castor corrected rings for the axle ends swivel bits i think, proper job then, i think tomcat does them, but they aint cheap.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 19:12:06 »
LOOKING GOOD BRIAN  :shock: How much to come and do mine for me ?  :lol: Oh and you were right about loosing the rear box  :cry:  Sounded awesome untill i refitted the straight pipe to try and cut the fumes out of the cab but it's all gone quiet again now  :roll:  waste of time cutting the box off really. going to look at a longlife stainless system after the new year. they can custom them tho so are you better off losing the middle box and keeping the back box ??
Opp's sorry v8rangie i've kinda high jacked your thread. I'm looking at lifting tho but it seems a tad too involved for my liking. Moving mounting points etc. you can lift a paj 2" body, 2" suspenion with no mods but then i suppose you have to to get any sort of clearence !!  :lol:  :lol:
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 19:13:41 »
Oh and nice boat !!  :lol:  :lol:
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 01:21:01 »
Got to dissagree.  At 2 " lift you will remove the nominal castor setting completely, this will reduce if not remove the steering self-centring effect, making the steeing feel dead and woolly, the car will tramline much more than it does now.

The bottom shock mount will be permenantly twisted and the spring seat at an angle.  The diff filler plug will be at the wrong height.  There will be a small amount of pulsing in the front prop, though this can be reduced by altering the phasing of the UJs.

Worst of all your front tyres will get scrubbed away at the edges, and for A/T or M/T the edge is arguable the most important bit.

Granted a few people have managed to damage QT arms, but given what they were doing to them at the time......

I've had mine on for a couple of years with no problems and I really do drive it hard.  For that reason I find I prefer it to go where it's pointed.

It's most noticeable on the LSE, the air suspension can add an instant 2" lift, fortunatley it cannot stay up at more than 30mph. I say fortunatley because it's a total pig to drive, especially when you have got used to driving it in normal height mode.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline v8rangie

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:08 »
i only asked as im either going for a 2" sus lift with castor correction and  a 2" body lift

or just go for a 3" sus lift with lowered shock mounts extended brake lines and castor corrected front and rear arms.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 14:06:30 »
Well given that both a 2" lift and a 3" lift should have longer brake lines and IMHO castor correction (Cardan prop etc etc) you should look at the cost of a body lift before deciding either/or.

Lots of us have suspension only lifts and do just fine but recently I'm more aware of body lifts becoming quite common.

There's advantages and dissadvantages to both as I'm sure you are aware but I woould say that if you are going to lift it, either way round, that you should put heavier springs on to control the body roll, so you might as well put lifted springs on.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 14:08:04 »
Quote from: "Brian the Sn@il"
raised mine last week and id say its close to a 3 inch lift on Britpart Springs.

No problems ( apart fromt he CV joint going today )

Not too easy to tell from a picture but I recon that's about the same as mine on plus 2" springs before it got so heavy.

The standard height is 790mm from floor to eyebrow on each corner, on standard tyres.

Chances are any RRC over 10 years old will have lost about an inch.

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 22:28:23 »
Yep i agree with that about the original Springs Loosing a inch, as it now sits 3 inches higher after the new springs.

SO in reality a 2 inch lift, after the original old springs will see you a 3 inch lift, Very pleased :)
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 00:44:12 »
It looks pretty good too, those tyres don't look lost under there the way some do.

But when's the spoiler coming off?

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:39:27 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
It looks pretty good too, those tyres don't look lost under there the way some do.

But when's the spoiler coming off?

when it falls off ;)  :lol:
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal