AuthorTopic: How high to lift  (Read 1117 times)

Offline oily

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How high to lift
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:12:41 »
Hi

I'm just about to order a lift kit for the freelander and have been reading up on it. I have a question on the 2inch lift you have to modify the body to stop the steering arms fouling at full (down) travel. Do you have to modify it if you have a 1.5 inch lift?.

Oily

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
How high to lift
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 12:10:53 »
It partially depends on where the car sits at the moment. They do seem to vary in ride height out of the factory!

I fitted a 50mm lift to ours and needed to cut the inner wing right down to the 'chassis' member. It needs a bead of weld to replace the spot welds IMHO. I reckon ours would have needed some cutting even with a 40mm lift. The other problem, at least on the TD4, is the wiring harness runs along the top of the LH box member. This is also fouled by the track rod so needs relocating.

You should also check the camber after lifting to make sure it is within tolerance. We had to adjust the front with offset pins. The rear was fine. I have the factory data sheet somewhere if you need it. Obviously, the tracking will also need resetting.

HTH.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline oily

Attack Member
Thanks for nfo
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 21:46:02 »
Thanks Steve All I have to do is decide which lift kit to use!.

Oily

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal