AuthorTopic: fuel pump inertia switch  (Read 5105 times)

Offline oakeedokee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
fuel pump inertia switch
« on: January 16, 2005, 21:46:57 »
After having the rev counter apart to try and get the thing working, my 3.5Efi bobtail won't start. The fuel pump doesn't run when I switch the ignition on, so I checked the fuse, that's ok, but no voltage at the pump. I read in the '89 manual that there is an inertia switch between the fuse and pump situated under one of the seats. There isn't on mine. Where else could it be? It was originally a '79 but has had an '89 engine and interior transplant. Any ideas?
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
fuel pump inertia switch
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 20:57:31 »
OOh B****r, that sounds as bad as ours that does.
Check the voltage at the pump itself then try a substitute power source to the pump, it could have packed up.
The inertia switch wasn't fitted to ours (or the car the EFi came from) so it must be a 1990 on thingy.
Also check the fuel pump relay near the EFi box.

Now start checking the continuety of the wiring from front to back with a circuit tester, it's possible that fuse does nothing, or protects a different circuit if the interior and wiring loom are from different cars!
If that doesn't tell you anything I would have to think for a minute or 5, put the kettle on someone....
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
fuel pump inertia switch
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 21:30:55 »
Thanks Range Rover Blues. The pump is actually working as I took the feed pipe off today (it was just running quieter than normal). So It looks like I've got an electrical problem after all as it still won't start. I took the distributor cap off for a cursory check and now can't get the damn thing back on again (have been trying for nigh on two hours!!). If I remove the rotor arm it goes on no problemo, but as soon as I refit the rotor arm it just doesn't want to know, like the rotor arm is restricting it. Any ideas on that one? I think i'll start a new post on that subject.
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
fuel pump inertia switch
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 19:49:45 »
Ah, just been reading that one.  Hmm, I would prefer to see it but you could have a small problem there with your dizzy.  Check for a spark by putting a spare plug into one of the leads, leave it on the rocker cover and crank the engine, spark should be blue or orangey blue, not orange!
If you can't get the cap on then use the coil lead for a start.

If you get the dizzy back together then spray easy-start into the engine, crank it and see if it coughs at all, if so then spark is ok and you have a fuel prob.
One of the benifits of dual fuel is that you can eliminate EFI problems by switching to gas!
Check your timing hasn't slipped!
Disconnect that suspect rev-counter for now as well.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal