AuthorTopic: Rubbish 300 headlamps sorted at last ! for less than £10  (Read 1485 times)

Offline petergalileo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rubbish 300 headlamps sorted at last ! for less than £10
« on: November 13, 2007, 15:25:49 »
Always thought my 300 headlights were rubbish so shortly after buying her a year and a half ago I purchased a couple of cheap 90/100 watt H4 headlamp bulbs from eblag.

Anyway, very little improvement, but put up with it, did buy a set of 2003 on headlamps with a view to fitting them but never got round to it.  However, noticed dipped beam wasn't working so whipped the bulb out and to my horror the glass had melted and gone black.

Anyway, bought a nice pair of standard E marked 60 watt ones with a very slight blue tint and they are a lot better !

Just goes to show, cheap rubbish from ebay really is rubbish, best to go to a proper shop I think !

Pic of old bulbs below.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Dr Evil

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 18:05:45 »
If you think 300 lights are rubbish, you want to try 200 series lights !!!

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 19:02:16 »
Quote from: "fatbloke"
If you think 300 lights are rubbish, you want to try 200 series lights !!!

standard 200 lights wouldnt excite a moth...

i cleaned mine, and reluctantly spent £30 on a pair of philips super vision plus (50% brighter*) ...couldnt justify the next step up at £40.. but got them in, and the difference is very much noticable... nice crisp blue/white light (much better than brown) i`ve get some LED side lights to go with them but not fitted yet.

...i`ve also got the light bar (4x 55w) to wire up, and 4x 9" spots to go on the winch mount (4x 130w)...

...i pity the next tool who comes towards me with main beam on... :twisted:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
head lights
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 18:07:48 »
check ur local lidel just bought some 50% brighter for less than £3 yes thats right less than £3
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 18:14:33 »
Hey Lurch thats exactly what I did do ! along with some veg oil fuel !!
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Offline chiboy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 18:19:00 »
8) Fitted series 2 headlights to mine really much brighter
Green 3.9 v8 Auto on LPG,Green Range Rover LSE Wheels , Roof lights ,Big bore S/S Exhaust , Winch bumper, Spot lights, CB, Safari snorkle,steering guard,jate rings,235,70,16 BFG mud terrains,diff guard, saudi spec grill, 2"LIFT Discoparts tree sliders QT Bonnet pod, 10,000lbs WINCH WITH PLASMA ROPE AND REMOTE

Offline treeman

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 18:21:42 »
halfrauds rally bulbs!!!! there not road legal an a tad expensive but i can see where the hell im goin now :-)
disco 300tdi (berry) snorkle, lightbar, steering guard, winch & winch bumper unfortunatly for sale

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 20:00:50 »
I run Td5 headlights and IPF bulbs (80/110w)
Very bright
 8)
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 20:50:22 »
I too have early TD5 lamps fitted, I can see an improvement over 200 series lights, cant say they are any better than 300 series lights but now I dont have "limo black" tinted headlamp bulbs I am just glad I can see in the dark again ! I can lay off those carrots too now !  :lol:

Offline The Electrician

Attack Member
  • my original Discovery - long since replaced -R.I.P
bulbs
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 23:09:45 »
Lads this is all very nice and everyone likes to see where they are going but, you all seem to be forgetting one thing.....................they are all illegal !!!!!

the legal limit for headlamps is 55w and any more than that would render your vehicle unroadworthy, thus no mot and that is a possible ban.

is it worth it ? ................ i am all for seeing where your going but i ain't gonna lose my licence over it.

just thourght i'd mention it  :lol:
it's a mud thing............you wouldn't understand !!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 14:09:37 »
Quote from: "Ja1983"
i cleaned mine, and reluctantly spent £30 on a pair of philips super vision plus (50% brighter*)

I've used them before and they are very good.

On the other hand I've used the Hlaford super visioin ones and they make funny patterns on the road, so I took them back out :evil:   They don't work well in some headlights.

Anyway, if you really want to see where you're going.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260175955810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

These are the cheapest I've found yet, but you need to order bi-xenon (hi/low) and they cost a bit more.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 14:22:08 »
Hi there RRB
weve spoken before on using HID lamps.
have you bought from this company?
I converted my headlamps and front spots to HID some time ago, but the kits vv expensive then. these are loads cheaper, even when you take into account the shipping. I am about to convert the KC's on my roof bar to HID but am still looking for a reliable (and cheap!) source to use.

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 14:26:27 »
Yes, I've ordered some h3 for my spots (hoping they are brighter than 100watts) but they havn't arrived yet.

I've bought sets from several suppliers as the price falls and TBH quality-wise there's little to choose.  The instructions are all gibberish.  Any that use Bosch ballasts work the best (quicker light-up and turn off).

Can't get cheaper than £0.99 though :wink:
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 14:30:54 »
Cheers, looking at the pictures, they are the same ballasts as are in mine, and have been running fine for over two years now, (including all the mud/water I can throw at them).

Andy

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
Re: bulbs
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 20:10:00 »
Quote from: "The Electrician"
Lads this is all very nice and everyone likes to see where they are going but, you all seem to be forgetting one thing.....................they are all illegal !!!!!

the legal limit for headlamps is 55w and any more than that would render your vehicle unroadworthy, thus no mot and that is a possible ban.

is it worth it ? ................ i am all for seeing where your going but i ain't gonna lose my licence over it.

The nice man from the MOT station didn't have a problem with them.
Neither do i  :wink:
And it would take a policeman in a very bad mood to check your bulbs wattage. :lol:
I suppose that'll be the same copper that would look around one's tyres and notice that they are not E marked and therfore not legal on UK streets
 8)

ps, i run General Grabber at2's which are E marked  :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline wellieboot

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 08:58:29 »
But isn't the point now that you have raised awareness, on a public forum that you are knowingly breaking the law.  :?

In the event of an accident and someone asking the wrong questions you could find yourslef in a whole host of hot water.

I think it's worth noting that on a public forum (and working for a supplier of accessories) you are promoting of something illegal. This raises issues for both you and your employer. And this forum.

I'm not trying to start an arguement. Just being wary.

Boots
I can see tomorrow, I can see the world to come
I can see tomorrow, hear the pandemonium

Offline daveyravey

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 13:49:35 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Yes, I've ordered some h3 for my spots (hoping they are brighter than 100watts) but they havn't arrived yet.

Can't get cheaper than £0.99 though :wink:

Did you check the postage costs ?
£25 is a bit OTT from Hong Kong  :shock:
Landyless

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 14:45:22 »
Ive just bought a couple of H3 HDI sets from them. and yes the postage is alot but one HID kit cost me 0.99p and the other cost me 2.30p so it kind of works out.
Still to sets of H3 HID for £75.00.

Andy

Offline stuvy

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 15:50:57 »
petergalileo Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too have early TD5 lamps fitted, I can see an improvement over 200 series lights, cant say they are any better than 300 series lights but now I dont have "limo black" tinted headlamp bulbs I am just glad I can see in the dark again ! I can lay off those carrots too now !  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so....
how easy and or hard is it to put Td5 headlamps in a 200 i never thought it possible and just upgraded the bulbs!! i like the side marker lamps in the indicator and i would be tempted to fit these headlamps in my 200!

Stuvy
Epsom green Discovery S1, 33" M/T on colour coded rims, 2" Lift Kit, Steering Gaurd with raised steering bars, Rock+Tree sliders, Modded front bumper, Checker plate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 www.DrewsSpeedShop.co.uk

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 16:25:03 »
Quote from: "The Electrician"

Is that 55w overall or 55w per bulb? I'm just wondering if I should mark the switch for the light bar (when I get one - they have 4x 55w spots) "Off Road Use Only".
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 23:56:04 »
Quote from: "Disco Matt"

Is that 55w overall or 55w per bulb? I'm just wondering if I should mark the switch for the light bar (when I get one - they have 4x 55w spots) "Off Road Use Only".

I don't think the rooflights will come under any legislation other than causing a nuisance/driving without due care etc if you dazzle someone. Reason being they aren't statutory lamps so don't come into the test. However the boys in blue will still find an excuse to fund their xmas ball from your innocent life as a motorist.  :roll:
Cheers
DEANO

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 00:56:41 »
The limit on your dipped beam is IIRC 60 or 70 watts, 24 volt bulbs are higher power than 12 volt, it's more to do with the current draw than the brightness.

You are allowed one set of dipped beam and one set of marker or sidelights.

You are then allowed 6 lamps to come on as your main beam, there is some arguament as to whether having your dipped and main beams on together in one lamp is counted twice, but that's hardly a new one.

Any lamp used on the road has to be of 99 watts or less.

After 1986 any bulbs used have to be 'E' marked, most of the high power bulbs do not carry the mark, that's why they are illegal.

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 01:25:40 »
Yes I think that is how the lighting regs go. So no mention of seperately switched roof lights.
I was stopped for a roadside vehicle inspection in Harwich many moons ago and the traffic cop couldn't stop going on about the big spots fitted to the roof of my Globetrotter. It was quite amausing to watch the Ministry Man take this guy apart regarding his current lighting regs knowledge: the first time I ever really respected a guy from DOT.  :D
Cheers
DEANO

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 01:28:55 »
Quote from: "DEANO3528"
Yes I think that is how the lighting regs go. So no mention of seperately switched roof lights.

I'm not aware of any limit to the maximum or minimu height of any light other than a fog light being stipulated, they must be symetrical and in pairs though.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 11:03:29 »
Fair enough - I'm planning to wire them so they only come on with main beam anyway, so there should be no risk of dazzling people.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal