AuthorTopic: 4 Runner?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
4 Runner?
« on: January 15, 2005, 23:21:32 »
Anyone know anything about the Toyota 4 Runner  :?:

The wife's hair dressing partner has just bought one today, K reg so same year as ours and it's an import. Don't know much about it other than it's a 7 seater Diesel Auto.

She seemed quite smug about it when telling the wife, wife replyed by saying it ain't a 4x4 unless it's a Land Rover, rather good I thought  :lol:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 18:28:37 »
Nobody's heard of them then   :?:  :lol:
Andy Member # 8

Offline LOFTY

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 18:33:17 »
Its basically a Hilux, as a staition wagon, they are good vehicles, but with all the imported stuff from Japan, when something goes wrong, you find the parts dont match British sold cars, before the arguments start, this isnt true off all makes, but i know for a fact Toyota  have this problem.
85% OF ALL LAND ROVERS BUILT, ARE STILL ON THE ROAD,
THE OTHER 15% MADE IT HOME ;)

Offline Linda

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 21:02:40 »
Ok - couple of things -  if its a k reg and a 4-runner right hand drive then its probably a UK car. Toyota sold them here for 3 years 93-95. If its an import then it will be from the states probably and a LHD. In Japan the 4 runner sold as the Hilux Surf. Easy way to tell - does it have aircon? UK 4 runners didnt, but US did.
Parts are easy to come by (we have 2 surf's, a LHD 4-runner, and a hilux pickup, and did have aUK 4-runner until recently. so we know)
Toyota sell the original parts or there ar several good sources of aftermarket parts.
the 3.0 TD is a goos reliable truck, we work ours hard, on and off road and find them very relable and tough. the 2.4 TD has an issue with the head cracking if the truck overheats, so if buying one always get the head pressure tested or see a certificate proving it has had a new (not recon ) head.
 Let me know if you want any more info.

:D
Linda  

4x4 Toys

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 21:26:39 »
Cheers Linda.

I've been told by the wife today, who's had a ride in it that it has air con and is a Hilux Surf, because it has the badge on the back  :wink:

I have'nt seen it yet myself so cannot comment yet, but the wife's friend seems pleased.
Andy Member # 8

Offline Linda

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 19:32:44 »
Hehe - thought it might be!!  

Have a look here. Any techy info you need you'll find on the surf forum.

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/public/forums/index.php?

:D
Linda  

4x4 Toys

Offline Digsit

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 20:03:18 »
Andy

I had a Hilux Surf a couple of years ago. Liked almost everything about it except it was a 2.4 TD and a little underpowered. It also had an annoying warning beeper that sounded above 60mph.

I only got rid of it cos the gearbox got noisey and the turbo would make some horrible noises too.

Plus points tho........massive ground clearance and acres of space in the boot
Vehicle history:
Discovery 200tdi - Charity - went past her expiry date
Discovery 300tdi - Clarity - went into rear of Audi A3
Discovery 300tdi - D'une  - went bang
Discovery TD5 - unnamed - just went

Cliff - In my own little world............visitors welcome !!

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 20:37:43 »
I've seen it today, not too bad really. Not my cup of tea as I like the Discovery too much but agree it's got a huge boot.

It's actually lower than mine and very much like a standard car inside, but not too bad.
Andy Member # 8

Offline Linda

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 05:43:17 »
Quote from: "Andy."

It's actually lower than mine and very much like a standard car inside, but not too bad.

Interesting... my friend has a Disco and our standard surf has same ground clearance, my surf with 2" susp lift (and bigger tyres) has a bit more. Still overall car height of my surf is less than the disco.

As you say its all a matter of personal choice. I prefer the look of the surf over the disco, but they both perform superbly offroad so both are ok in my book :D
Linda  

4x4 Toys

Offline laser_jock99

Attack Member
Re: 4 Runner?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 00:48:05 »
Quote from: "Andy."
Anyone know anything about the Toyota 4 Runner  :?:

The wife's hair dressing partner has just bought one today, K reg so same year as ours and it's an import. Don't know much about it other than it's a 7 seater Diesel Auto.

She seemed quite smug about it when telling the wife, wife replyed by saying it ain't a 4x4 unless it's a Land Rover, rather good I thought  :lol:

The "diesel auto" bit gives it away since all UK 4Runners were manual transmission and all US 4Runners are petrol (surprise, surprise). Therefore it can only be a 'grey' import Surf.

Nevillef
www.hiluxsurf.co.uk (home Surf forum)
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/4x4 (more 4x4 photos)
http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=103 (Online Gallery Of My Surf)
Car: 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf
Model: 3.0L TD SSR-X
Mods: 2" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift 33" MT tyres,
Colour: Brown over blue

Offline laser_jock99

Attack Member
4 Runner?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 01:16:48 »
Quote from: "LOFTY"
Its basically a Hilux, as a staition wagon, they are good vehicles, but with all the imported stuff from Japan, when something goes wrong, you find the parts dont match British sold cars, before the arguments start, this isnt true off all makes, but i know for a fact Toyota  have this problem.

The Hilux Surf shares most of its parts with either the Hilux pickup, UK 4Runner or Land Cruiser Colorado- so all spares can be got from any Toyota dealer (if you want to pay main dealer prices that is!). Luckily there are now at least half a dozen companies specializing in spares and mods for Japanese import cars and the prices aren't silly either. I recently got a complete new rear brake cylinder assy for my Surf for £7.50 (personaly I can see how was even made for that money?). Parts arrive next day- no fuss. I have had radiator, bearings, filters, belts, steering, suspension, engine parts, windscreen etc. etc. The only things people seem have problems is internal trim (which would be true of most ten year old cars I think). A few guys are now importing breakers (and one or two have crashed here!) so finding 'oddball' items is becoming easier. E-bay is a good place to look- thats where my hub boss caps came from- £15 for all four, bargain!

So to suggest there is a problem with Surf parts is just incorrect- you just need to know where to go. Maybe your experience was with some obscure Toyota model never sold in the UK?

Nevillef
www.hiluxsurf.co.uk (home Surf forum)
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/4x4 (more 4x4 photos)
http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=103 (Online Gallery Of My Surf)
Car: 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf
Model: 3.0L TD SSR-X
Mods: 2" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift 33" MT tyres,
Colour: Brown over blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal