AuthorTopic: 2" Lift  (Read 4697 times)

JeepCher53

2" Lift
« on: January 15, 2005, 21:21:14 »
Anyone know where I can get a 2" lift done? Somewhere local to Gloucester would be great.
Thanks

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
  • Referrals: 0
2" Lift
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 22:42:04 »
Hi,

As I recall, Bearmach do a 2" lift kit for the Freelander. I had a look at the instructions for it, and it does involve cutting parts of the vehicle to make things fit (hence we didn't go for it).
--
Neil

JeepCher53

2" Lift
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 20:39:51 »
Thanks Neil. Not sure I like the sound of that :(  I've heard that MM4x4 near Worcester can do it so I'll give them a ring on Monday. :lol:

Offline rcliffe

Attack Member
2" LIFT
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 21:14:51 »
CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT TO GO FOR , NEED ALIFT KIT BUT TWO TYPES ON OFFER, SPACERS OR LONGER SHOCKS, WHICH IS BEST AND DO YOU NEED WHEEL SPACERS TO COMPENSATE FOR HIGHER CENTER OF GRAVITY?
click`s the name, lanin`s the game!
there`s folk that surf and there`s folk that just wax there boards!
MUD CLUB
M.A.D. FREELANDERS

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:20:36 »
The BM kit is available.  You also need to get the camber pins to make sure you have a fighting chance of being able to drive the thing afterwards  :-)

Will end up looking something like this :
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Re: 2" LIFT
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 15:54:34 »
Quote from: "rcliffe"
CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT TO GO FOR , NEED ALIFT KIT BUT TWO TYPES ON OFFER, SPACERS OR LONGER SHOCKS, WHICH IS BEST AND DO YOU NEED WHEEL SPACERS TO COMPENSATE FOR HIGHER CENTER OF GRAVITY?

Longer shocks won't affect the ride height. Longer springs or spring spacers will. You might then also require different stroke shocks because the droop stroke is effectively reduced.

Also, raising the car will make it roll more but fitting spacers will only make a difference to when the inside wheels lift off the ground, not the amount of body roll relative to the wheels. Fitting spacers will also increase the scrub radius of the front wheels. This can have a detrimental effect on the steering feel.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline s.stirley

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 17:09:09 »
I made a spacer lift for mine, went for 40mm all round to avoid any of the problems with brake pipes and steering components. The front inner wing needs trimming slightly to allow the track-rods to clear fully, but it's easy enough with a simple hacksaw cut and a hammer.

I didn't use pinion adjusters either on the front arms, and once it was re-tracked there were no noticeable effects compared to 'normal' ride height. No wheel spacers or anything either, just about £8 of bits from an ironmongers shop ! IMO the BM kit is a rip-off as this is exactly what it contains, it's the fitting that is the hard part and you still have to do that.

It was the best thing I did for the old girl too, wearing decent AT tyres and a 40mm she was pretty unstoppable.

I've got pics of the parts and kit if anyone's interested. Just ask.

Simon
'Gravity, it's not just a good idea - it's the law'
Mud and Dirt Freelanders - http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk
Cambridgeshire GLASS rep.

Offline rcliffe

Attack Member
would like to see pics etc and know whats involved thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 21:59:02 »
Quote from: "s.stirley"
I made a spacer lift for mine, went for 40mm all round to avoid any of the problems with brake pipes and steering components. The front inner wing needs trimming slightly to allow the track-rods to clear fully, but it's easy enough with a simple hacksaw cut and a hammer.

I didn't use pinion adjusters either on the front arms, and once it was re-tracked there were no noticeable effects compared to 'normal' ride height. No wheel spacers or anything either, just about £8 of bits from an ironmongers shop ! IMO the BM kit is a rip-off as this is exactly what it contains, it's the fitting that is the hard part and you still have to do that.

It was the best thing I did for the old girl too, wearing decent AT tyres and a 40mm she was pretty unstoppable.

I've got pics of the parts and kit if anyone's interested. Just ask.

Simon
click`s the name, lanin`s the game!
there`s folk that surf and there`s folk that just wax there boards!
MUD CLUB
M.A.D. FREELANDERS

Offline Big-G

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 09:54:44 »
Or you could go extreme mine is 57mm at the front and 63mm at the rear, giving 10" clearance underneath  :twisted: Mind you do need to mod the bodywork a bit
Geraint 'Big G' Jones

Mad Freelanders - Founder Member / Chairman - www.mad-freelanders.org.uk

GLASS - Member No 1903 - Gwent / Monmouthsire Area Rep - www.glass-uk.org

'Yes its a Land Rover - Tarmac roads came as an optional extra, i forgot to add them on.....'

Offline landraver

Attack Member
    • Swansea
2" Lift
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 18:58:03 »
I was going to buy the Freelander owned By Bearmach (wont say which branch (but it wasn't Swansea)) a couple of years ago when they put it up for sale, it had a lift & all the toys & stuff they sell fitted (bit of a pro mo vehicle I think), but when the missus drove it (I didn't get the chance) it vibrated like hell & the guy selling it said it was due to the lift :shock: , something they couldn't sort, so we didn't buy it.
Just to let you know that there may be a problem with the BM lift, but then again, they may have got it sorted by now

Jeff

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 17:10:58 »
the pics dont make it look any higher  :shock:
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline Big-G

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 18:03:23 »
Quote from: "FLATPACK!"

Look at the gap in the wheel arches, its a body lift more than anything else
Geraint 'Big G' Jones

Mad Freelanders - Founder Member / Chairman - www.mad-freelanders.org.uk

GLASS - Member No 1903 - Gwent / Monmouthsire Area Rep - www.glass-uk.org

'Yes its a Land Rover - Tarmac roads came as an optional extra, i forgot to add them on.....'

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 11:59:48 »
Quote from: "Littledan"

3 LIFTED 1 STANDARD G ON LEFT (CRAP PHOTO BUT SHOWS THE POINT)
FREELANDER V6 LPG...GO GAS

http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 21:36:14 »
Quote from: "s.stirley"
went for 40mm all round to avoid any of the problems with brake pipes and steering components. The front inner wing needs trimming slightly to allow the track-rods to clear fully, but it's easy enough with a simple hacksaw cut and a hammer.

Ok I'm mildly confused - having read and listened and poked around (not just here) a bit - then re-read to make sure I'm not as mad as everyone thinks I am - on the subject of lifting a hippo - some say they lifted 40mm front and rear without the need to cut the inner wings and some say they needed to make a cut to clear the track rods etc.

Seeing as a lift is on the cards over here does it need it or doesn't it  :?:
Way back then - life crawled out of the mud, then it decided life was better and crawled back in!

*If you only knew the power of the dark side*

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 22:06:48 »
Wasn't in the instructions(although the rest of instructions were bob on and easy to follow) but realised that it would have caught when installing.....not as bad as it sounds though just 2 small cuts with hacksaw (could even be done with a junior) about 1" either side of the track rod and just below....then just bend the metal out of the way using hammer or simlar lump of metal.

Bought mine from http://www.celtic4x4.co.uk/

Well worth the money 8)

Makes a great difference off road, with little effect on road. Only added the spacers cos they were going cheap. :twisted:

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 00:07:07 »
Quote from: "Doobreydog"
Wasn't in the instructions(although the rest of instructions were bob on and easy to follow) but realised that it would have caught when installing.....not as bad as it sounds though just 2 small cuts with hacksaw (could even be done with a junior) about 1" either side of the track rod and just below....then just bend the metal out of the way using hammer or simlar lump of metal.

Bought mine from http://www.celtic4x4.co.uk/

Well worth the money 8)

Makes a great difference off road, with little effect on road. Only added the spacers cos they were going cheap. :twisted:

Thanks for that  :)  

yeah I was thinking about the celtic4x4 one seems simpler than having to do the thinking and buying individual parts for myself when someone sticks it all in one package  :lol:
Way back then - life crawled out of the mud, then it decided life was better and crawled back in!

*If you only knew the power of the dark side*

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
2" Lift
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 00:34:23 »
If you are interested in a kit the FL club is running a competition/quiz in aid of charity and you could win one...see here

http://www.freelanderclub.co.uk/images/sandy/index.html#comp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal