AuthorTopic: heating prob any ideas!!!!  (Read 369 times)

Offline ABELL

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
heating prob any ideas!!!!
« on: November 07, 2007, 18:35:11 »
hi guys n gals. erm ive been having a little trouble with my discos heating, basically the head gasket went about three months ago and i had a new one fitted, but my heaters have been crap for about 6 months they only seem to get mildly warm, and when im driving along the heaters some times go off warm and start blowing cold, and the temperature gauge on the dash starts to rise sharpish, i dont think there was much air locked in the system as the guy who did the work said he,d got rid of the lock, but surely any air left in would of dissposed of itself by now. any info ideas appreciated. abe :)

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 19:20:23 »
Gotta say it sounds like an air lock to me.

When I've had this in the past I've run the engine with the cap off the header tank and the heater and blower on full. After a while I saw a large air bubble in the header and the water level in the tank dropped dramatically ~ like almost empty! I quickly poured in more coolant so that more air couldn't be sucked back into the system. This happened 3 or 4 times before the air was all expelled and the heater was fine from then onwards.

HTH  :D
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
bad heating
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 19:20:55 »
he might of got the air out of the block but has he got it all ie: the heater matrix as i know on some cars you have to have your heater set on half with the blower going to get the air out of the system
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline ABELL

Attack Member
air lock
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 16:20:02 »
cheers guys yeh im getting more convinced it is going to be air locked ill get it looked at see if it is!! :lol:

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:36:15 »
remember that iff topping up a warm engine - use warm water!  :wink:

agree on air lock tho, have afeel of all the pipes, see if you can determine where abouts the hot/cold sections are, this may point you to the problem.

when the head gasket went, did oil get into the water? if so it could be worth taking out and cleaning the thermostat, as this could well be caked up in carp due to its position (high up in the hottest area!)  :wink:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal