AuthorTopic: Series III front parcel shelf  (Read 846 times)

Offline Nick Bradshaw

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series III front parcel shelf
« on: November 05, 2007, 22:53:04 »
I just took the front parcel shelf off the Series III 109 I've got; I wanted to check for corrosion because the brake and clutch  master cylinders have been leaking. I am glad I did! It might save the cost of a bulkhead. There were some patches of rust, now red-leaded and waxoiled; but the inside metal of the shelf had completely rusted away. Pounds of rust fell out when I pulled it away from the bulkhead.
Has anyone any contacts for supplying a new shelf? I'd be grateful for any contacts or tips.
On the up side, the 2.6 6-cylinder rebuild has gone well; everything done from the reground crank to the rebored cylinders, all the valve gear, head, everything. It has bedded in well and sounds like a new engine; which it is, really. I put in a recon box from Paddock's, new exhaust, long studs  for the Wolf wheels and section welded the chassis with 4mm steel, new rear member together with an earlier front half chassis. It's looking and sounding good, and since I cleaned up the handbrake it is using considerably less petrol...shoe was slowing it down a bit. I just saw  that MOD are selling 110's for £6300. I've spent about half of that on the III over the last six years, so I think it's good value.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 16:42:06 »
I could be wrong but I thought it was all part of one bulkhead assembly?

im due to swap out my bulkhead in the next few weeks and have the new (old) one in the shed so ill have a look.

I suppose you could get some sheet steel fabricated up and welded in????

Try looking in the parts manual on the Series 3 section in the LRO web site.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Nick Bradshaw

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:58:03 »
Thanks for that. I found one over the weekend. No, it's made up of the top fascia, two side pieces and the bottom fascia and in between is the plastic parcel shelf. The bottom fascia has the vents in for the heater, and the right side panel has the heater and vent controls. Not a bad idea to take it off now and then, it lets you see if the bulkhead is sound. Mine had three holes in, plated now and painted. They were due to brake fluid, I think; they were underneath the two master cylinders and both had been seeping.
Bottom fascia price is over £400, now. If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative I'd like to hear; meanwhile, a tenner from the scrappie and a lot of wire brushing and red lead...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal