AuthorTopic: yet again its not working proper like what i do  (Read 839 times)

Offline landroverkeith

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
  • Referrals: 0
yet again its not working proper like what i do
« on: November 03, 2007, 16:15:33 »
:lol:  Ive got another new bit to buy and fit to my disco now, the viscous fan thingy bit hmmmmmmmmm

I reckon given  a few more year I will have replaced everything on the motor then i wont have to fix it anymore woo hoo

starts leaning towards a eurobox....
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 16:37:17 »
Not at all - then all the new bits you've fitted will start to break too  :x
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 16:38:50 »
:shock:
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
Re: yet again its not working proper like what i do
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:42:34 »
Quote from: "landroverkeith"
:lol:  Ive got another new bit to buy and fit to my disco now, the viscous fan thingy bit hmmmmmmmmm

I reckon given  a few more year I will have replaced everything on the motor then i wont have to fix it anymore woo hoo

starts leaning towards a eurobox....

oh by the way i doubt its just ur viscous as well read this post i had the same problem
http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=51307
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

Offline Landynuts

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 17:38:44 »
Unless you do heavy towing just chuck the old fan and do not replace it, you will not miss it. If you do tow replace with an electric fan mine has only needed to come on two or three times in the 6 years since I fitted it.
Navara 09 Outlaw
Disco 90 200 TDi
Yamaha TDM900 (for when 4 wheels is 2 to many)
Suzuki GT250 project

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 18:04:27 »
Im not a heavy tower no but i do aim to take the caravan away on several breaks during the course of the years.....

But my main point of swopping the fan is that the car overheats at motorway speeds i cant get from northampton to kettering doing 60/70 mph without the needle rising far to quickly for my liking. im lost now as i have flushed the rad though from the front and the back, changed the thermostat, all is fine for months until i wanna travel a distance by which time ive forgotten it plays up then wam heaters on full bore and windows open and im limping along at 55/60 to keep the engine cool

its not the head gasket had it tested and theres no water in the oil etc etc
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 18:06:02 »
I'd say put the electric fan on there.  It will depend on whether you have air conn and how good your rad is too though.

Julie's TDi has just had the head off and now it's got an electric fan and stat(from Wizard IIRC) set so that it comes on just above normal temp.  I havn't done any towing with it yet or been stuck in any traffic but your worst case is to tow something heavy up a big hill then get stuck at the lights.  Do this in my LSE and it overheated, I rang Kenlowe and they advised NOT to remove the viscous fan :?

Anyway, a new viscous cost me £45 and it's been mint, it runs slower than the old one when cold but locks up properly to move more air when needed, so I don't reckon I'm loosing too many horses over an electric now.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 18:11:55 »
i have no problems with it sitting in traffic and so far towing has been ok but i wouldnt like to risk it

i do have aircon but rarely use it plus at the min theres no belt to run it lol

its quite spooky the way it happens within about 5/10 mins of cruising the needle races up but quickly comes down when i turn the heater up and let off the throttle.. if that makes sense
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 18:20:49 »
Makes perfect sense.  The airconn rad gets in the way of airflow whether it's on or not, though the airconn fans obvioulsy help out.  The TDI uses little fuel unless it's got something to do, hence how long they take to heat up, so putting on the heater fan and slowing down will make the engine cool down, the heater takes out more energy than a TDi at idle creates.

The other issure with the TDI though is the intercooler, with airconn the airflow needs forcing through the water rad and intercooler, the viscous fan in it's ducting does this quite well, so if you remove it then chances are the intercooler will not work as well.  Julie's has a full width intercooler on it but at the moment it does not run very cold, I need to finish closing off the bottom of the aperture but then I might have to fit a small electric fan, like the Bitsa-missin' has.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 21:32:58 »
another option is the water pump..mine was iffy.. well, more "loose" and it occasionally got a bit too hot for my liking... had to pull over and wee into the header once as the hole underneath the pump was letting water out...

other option could be to turn up the fuelling... iirc dervs run hotter when they are running lean, and more fuelling cools them. this will add a few welcome ponies too... may aswell run through the 200tdi tuning guide, mines run bang on/needle width over since i did it, and it is a hell of a lot better to drive!

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal