AuthorTopic: AUTO 'BOX QUESTION (surprise surprise)!  (Read 4782 times)

SPIKEY

AUTO 'BOX QUESTION (surprise surprise)!
« on: January 12, 2005, 22:14:55 »
Can any one tell me the following;

Will an early auto-box fit STRAIGHT in to a later car ?

When I say early, I mean 'E' or 'F' reg i.e  4 speed Z.F. with the diff lock you have to engage and the light comes on.

As I have had a 1990 Vogue S.E. sitting around for a couple of months with the governor sticking, I want to put a 'box in it.

The 1990 car only has a lever with High, Neutral, Low, and no diff lock.

Will the early 3.5 'box fit in a later car with no seperate diff lock ?

When I say 'fit' I mean - un-bolt one and bolt in another with no mods.

Cheers,

SPIKEY.

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 22:18:16 »
The gearbox will swap OK.  If you want to retain the diff-lock functionality, just keep the transfer box in the vehicle.

The 3.5 ZF locks up the torque converter at around 40mph, whereas the 3.9 box locks up at just over 50mph, so if the engines are different you will see some difference in gearchanges.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPIKEY

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 22:25:48 »
Thanks Tim.
                 Is it easier to drop a gear box and transfer box or seperate them ?

The plan is to put a complete gearbox and transfer box out of an '88 model 3.5 into a '90 3.9.

Presumably the only thing missing would be the diff lock light in the later vehicle ?

Cheers,

SPIKEY.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal