AuthorTopic: Auxiliary fuse and relay box  (Read 1448 times)

Offline africanpete

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Auxiliary fuse and relay box
« on: October 28, 2007, 18:26:34 »
Hi

I've decided to fit a seperate fuse box to make it easier when wiring up all my accessories, I know a few of you have done this in the past so I'm hoping you'll be able to offer help and advice.

This is the modular box I'm thinking of using
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/photo/1520demo.jpg

I'm not sure on how I would get a power feed to all the fuses and relays as I only want to have two cables going directly from my aux battery to the new fuse box, these cables would be the +ve and -ve in a suitable (OTT  ) guage.

The box in the link above comes with various module options, see this link
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/sockets.php#box

My question is what do I need? I will want to run the following gadgets

National Luna Weekender twin fridge
CB Radio
4 lights on roof rack( chance I may have 2 on the bumper but not sure yet)
Additional cigar lighter sockets, say 3
A couple of interior task lights
A couple of work lamps on the roof rack
Maybe an inverter but I'm not sure yet.

As you can see there are quite a few bits and I just want to make sure that I have the right modules and room for expansion should I decide to use all these bits. I have a National Luna Split charge kit which will probably have to be incorperated into all of this somehow  

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Cheers
Pete

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 13:28:42 »
I bought the black clip together relay box and fuse box from Vehicle Wiring Products then put them inside a white water resitant enclosure from Maplins, use grommets for the wiring and it's safe to leave under the bonnet during a dunking.

Only problem I've had is that relays run warm and inside a box they can overheat.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline piper5

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 17:54:34 »
i have a home made box made from an old tupperware tub it has heavy live and earth from the main battery into it then onto a strip type fuse box with separate fuse for each item for relays i have tried all sorts and melted most! i now use main beam 45amp relays from car head light circuits (ford yellow ones are good) and have now used these for about 2 years without melting any, i have mounted this on my td5 disco next to the battery where the bottle jack sat before and run all the wires in plastic trunking along the chassis rail up into the boot through a spare grommet already there,
i am running 3 radios at 25 amp each plus a light bar drawing about 50amps when all on.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 18:53:52 »
In the 101 I ran a fairly hefty feed to one end of the fuse box, and then daisychained connectors down the side to carry the 12v feed to each fuse.  It looked neat enough when it was done.  For the earth I got a domestic earthing block (a lump of metal with holes drilled in it), screwed it down and ran a good earth straight to the battery.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 19:05:39 »
Bes (and proper way to do it is daisycchain with wire rated for the heaviest load you can draw off all fuses.

Which is an utter pain. VWP do do some busbars for those fuseboxes if you look which is another proper way of doing it. Failing that use individual feeds and go into an ICE connector block as sold in Hellfrauds for the Chavvies. Nice big terminals so lots of space for heavy wiriing. I run two, one for perm 12V then aother via a 100A relay for ignition switched stuff.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline africanpete

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 20:03:23 »
Thanks for the replies guys, I suppose the only things I need to know now is how this ties up with my split charge system?  What do you guys think I will need for all my accessories ie: Fuses-mini, midi or maxi - relays-medium or heavy duty and hopefully some advice on cable for linking/daisychaining all these bits together.

As you can see electrical stuff is not my strong point, all I know is that I don't want to cock it up and have problems in the middle of Africa :shock:

Thanks again
Pete

BTW Thanks for the replies, have posted this on other forums and only you guys have replied, almost always the case, 99% chance of getting a reply on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal