AuthorTopic: Head gasket or porous block  (Read 1254 times)

Offline zuludelta5

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Head gasket or porous block
« on: October 26, 2007, 22:31:46 »
Hi,

A mate has got a problem with his RR

it's a 1996 4.6 HSE which has been gas converted & has done 97000 miles.

It has started to use a bit of water and it appears that steam/vapour comes out of the exhaust when its first started. there does not appear to be any water in the oil. It is NOT overheating.

He has conducted a combustion leak test and it shows combustion gases in the water.

My questions are:

Is there any way of telling at this stage if it is a blown head gasket or a porous block? which is more likely?

I have heard about porous blocks but what is it?

Does anyone have experience of similar problems.

any advice would be appreciated, it seems the potential costs involved are out of this world

Thanks

Steve
Steve

Disco 2 td5

Modified & used

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 23:32:25 »
Steam/water out the exhaust is pretty normal, on a cold day... wait till it warms up, it will only get worse if it is a problem with porous block/headgasket.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 00:28:53 »
It's called porous block syndrome but it's not really porous.

What happens IFAIK

The later engine management runs the engine as lean as it can for economy, the gearbos tries to keep higher gears as long as possible.  Supposedly why 4.6s suffer worse than 4.0s

The cylinder liner gets very hot becasause of the lean mix and heats unevenly due to the slugging away in high gears.

The block surrounding the liner cracks, all V8s after the 3.5 have less metal round the liners which IIRC are cast in place, so if they move during casting the block is even weaker.

Once the crack appears the liner can slip down slightly, this releaves the pressure on the head gasket.

When the engine is running, combustion pressure keep the water at bay, but every time the engine stops when hot a small amount of water escapes the water jacket and gets into the effected cylinder.

A clean piston is a giveaway of water leaks, but this could be gasket or block (or even head).

porous block syndrome gets slowly worse up to a point, then it cascades into a nightmare.  Thing is if it's got that it's too late anyway.

Bung a tin of cargo seal in it to cure the crack, then leave some K-Seal in for life to keep it sealed, the stuff does work I'm assured.

Now, if it's got combustin gas in the coolant I'd suspect a gasket.  I've never seen Porous block first hand but I'm told the "leak" only goes one way and with a hot engine.  One way to tell migh be to run with no radiator cap for a few days and see if the symptoms change at all.

P.S. I'm also told that LPG engines can suffer from cracked rings due to the speed of combustion, not sure how true that is but I know V8s don't like running too hot.

A cheap fix might be to bung a good 3.9 in rather than a 4.0 or 4.6, if it were a 4.0 this would be a no-brainer as reconditioners are paying good money fro 4.0 blocks that havn't cracked.

Otherwise it's a new short motor at about £1,700 plus fitting :(
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:39:22 »
The 3.9's don't et porous block from what I have read/know....

Only the 4.2's and above.

Bowie.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 01:44:02 »
It's more common on 4.2s admittedly, as they run a bit lean, but 3.9s can suffer from it.

The the 4.0s and 4.6s were the later block, cross bolted crank, bigger journals and 10 bolt heads etc.

A 4.2 is just a 3.9 with a different crank and pistons.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal