AuthorTopic: INtercooler  (Read 890 times)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
INtercooler
« on: October 26, 2007, 13:23:05 »
I noticed under the body of a Shogun the other day that the intercooler sits flat under the bonnet rather than behind the grille and it has a little fan underneath it.

Can anyone tell me what this fan is for please? does it run all the time or just when the engine gets hot? does it come on a full throttle?

I've fitted an electric fan to a 300TDi and I don't think the intercooler is getting cold enough any more, that's why I'm interested.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
INtercooler
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 14:23:59 »
Its on a thremositch, I beleive the switch is on the output of the intercooler someplace. It acts to boost airflow when the car isnt in motion/moving slowly and output temp starts to creep.

Its also stupidly fragile  :shock:
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

mad geordie

INtercooler
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 16:05:34 »
the fan on the cooler only comes to life in very very hot and high temps just to cool the air for your turbo in this country you will be lucky to see it work but in hot countreys work fine

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
INtercooler
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 16:17:00 »
Quote from: "mad geordie"
the fan on the cooler only comes to life in very very hot and high temps just to cool the air for your turbo in this country you will be lucky to see it work but in hot countreys work fine

I dont think I've ever seen/heard the Paj's come on :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
INtercooler
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 00:46:50 »
Right, thanks :)

Food for thought :-k

I think I'll start with some panelling to make sure all the air going through the radiator grille goes through the intercooler.  I've noticed when it's been on a run in the cold morning that the feed pippes are cool, but when it's been stoof they get hot, quite hot, like the intercooler is doing nowt.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal