AuthorTopic: Hi all New here and need some help please  (Read 5555 times)

Offline buster uk

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi all New here and need some help please
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:36:41 »
hi all
 I have just bought my first range rover.Wanted one for years but eventually got one now.Its a 1994 RRC 3.9 vogue se.
It has eas and i want to remove it because i think both rear air bags are leaking and i have been dropped to the bump stops once whilst off roading.
I could try and discover the problem and fix it but then im worried some thing else on the eas will fail .It is only showing minor fault (lights in buttons stay illuminated) and it does eventually rise to standard height.

Can any one advise on what is needed to convert it to springs ?

So far heres my thoughts but i have only owned it for a month so please correct me if im wrong.

To disable the eas system i was thinking just remove the fuse under the seat and click the freeze out button for the eas.

Buy a normal 2" lift suspension kit for the RRC.

I know i need spring seats at the bottom are these just bolted on ? then fit the four springs,and clamp in place at bottom.fit the rear dampers but on the front i think i will have to fit a standard replacement damper as it sits in a different place (like rear damper) .Then to retain the 2" travel make an adaptor or block 2" heigh and fit it to the damper mount.
Or can a defender or rrc damper tower be fitted to my chassis and mount the damper through the coil like normal?

Help and advice greatly appreciated,
thanks
andy
1994 Range Rover Classic 3.9 v8 vogue se

Offline MUSKIE

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 20:26:41 »
in either LRO or LRM this month someone advertises a complete kit to do just what you want and it includes the bypass. about £300.

Offline BIG_ORANGE_90

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 21:11:52 »
Paddocks ?
1984 90 Truck Cab.
3.5 v8
scorpion sliders , steering guard , qt diff guards
Tank guard , k&n filters , pro comp 2" lift
Light bar , scorpion cubby box

2006 BMW X3 , 2.0 Diesel
Leather Seats, 18" Alloy wheels
Tow Pack

1999 Mitsubushi L200 pick up , 2.5 tdi
Metallic green , New Bullbar
Colway mud terrains

1999 Yamaha 350 Big Bear
2" High lifter kit, front superwinch,
Ring spots,Piaa headlight bulbs,
Maxxis 27" Mudlites

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove

Offline buster uk

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:37:17 »
i have bought 4 land rover mags on monday,i couldnt find anything in there about it.cost me £14.44 aswell !
i got lrm lrw lroi and lre.

ive searched every where for answers,was hoping some one here would be able to help.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 19:27:06 »
LROI page 79 :P
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 18:43:56 »
There are differences between a coiler and an air bag RRC, the dampers on the front for one, the spring seats for another.  That said the kits look expensive for what's there.  Visit your local breakers for stuff like the spring seats.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline buster uk

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 20:38:19 »
ive had a good look about and for about £5 each for the spring purches and £240 for the 2" lift kit with dampers and springs.I know i wont be able to use the front dampers so i could just leave the front ones but  they will be pulled 2" longer than normal therefore causing it to hang 2"  shorter when the given front wheel is off the ground.So if i can make some solid 2" aluminuim spacers for the dampers to bolt into then the spacer to bolt into the original hole for the damper then it should give the same travel as before.
Then i need 4 spring retainers for the bottom of the springs.They are only fitted on the back and not the front but because i have no damper through the middle on the front then i will fit one on each front spring aswell to keep them in place.
Then i need two rear isolator spring seats aparently.(what ive been told)£5 for a pair.
The disable eas with lock out button and remove fuse.

Total cost £270.

That kit in the mag is £360 and only uses original ride height springs and you dont get dampers.

What do you think ,does it make sense ,have i missed anything ?

Ive been told that the spring seats can be bolted on with 2 10x20mm bolts and not welded on but i aint sure on this.

Offline Grunter

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 12:12:37 »
When I purchased my range rover it had a similar arrangement on the front with spacers used to give a 2" lift, although giving a height increase and dampening that works as you mentioned about the shock extension being two inches short, by using spacers you will find the shock bottoms out early as the suspension travel has been increased, I found no problems for road use but when on the rough stuff the shock bottomed out pulling the studs off the turret retainging ring, the turret then lifted and kinked the brake pipes at the master cylinder, if it had struck an inch further to the left it would have taken out the master cylinder as well.....
spacers on the front bumpstops were the short term protection for this.

I have since spent the money on the proper kit for the job....

hope this makes sense.
This should present no significant problems

83 4dr R/R
LPG, Chrysler auto, 265's
Steering guard
2" suspension lift
2 1/2" body lift
es9000 +4"

Offline buster uk

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 17:01:29 »
Hi,
ok ive got a solution.Just ordered some normal shock towers and retainers.Had a good look at the chassis and the holes are there for the shock tower to mount to.So i should now be able to use the 2" extra travel dampers for the front now.

Once i have converted it all i will let everyone know how it goes

andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal