AuthorTopic: 1 day left...  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
1 day left...
« on: October 19, 2007, 14:16:30 »
OK to go with the what if thread.

I'll post a few more of these as time goes on but here we go.

As mentioned there has been a significant event inside our sun. The result is a huge streem of charged gas is headed for earth. Upon inpact experts have decided that the following events are highly likeley.

1) Destruction of the national grid (and equivilents) and switchgear internationally. The damage may take months to get people back onto the grid.

2) Total destruction of all space-bourne electronics including the IIS. Some systems might be restarted.

3) In relation to one, loss of water and sanitation services, public transport, over 80% of all veichles disabled and damage to aviation systems while in transit

4) Short term disruption and loss of ALL radio services except possibly VLF frequencies. Some may return but receivers would likeley be damaged.

5) There is very little you can do, its hiogghly likeley that almost 100% of electronic and electrical kit will be affected or destroyed. Anything connected to transmission lines will almost certainly be wrecked. Turning it off wont help and there is a real possibility magnetic media will be damaged.

6) Modern silicon based computer systems will fail, how they will fail isnt predictable but they will fail and possibly be damaged beyond recover (see 5 about transmission lines)

7) Global failure of telecomunications with the loss of Sattelites, damage to local, nation and international networks. Fibre cabling is immune, repeaters and tranceivers arent.

You have 24 hours... what are you going to do? Clocks ticking its only 23hours, 59 minutes and 30 seconds now...

(200TDi Owners laugh now :))
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
1 day left...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 14:24:39 »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA im laughing HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH
see 200tdi... the way forward!!
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Drift

1 day left...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 14:27:18 »
Buy a horse=transport get an old wind up steriogram and dig out my old vinel records, fill a bucket full of cold water to keep my beer cool (fridge wont be working) then ride out the storm  :D  8)

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 14:31:47 »
:mrgreen:  i've just got lead poisoning trying to wrap my telly up  :lol:  :lol:
Matt

suzuki dr 650 import(now with new gearbox)

43 with the mental age of tarmac and a harpsichord

littlepow

1 day left...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 14:36:28 »
Bury a Iso container and cover, but hinge the door area, with the metal grid sheets used in reinforced concrete.

Stick everything useful in it, then sit back and relax.

Cheap home made Faraday cage / bunker.

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
Re: 1 day left...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 14:43:34 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
You have 24 hours... what are you going to do? Clocks ticking its only 23hours, 59 minutes and 30 seconds now...

(200TDi Owners laugh now :))

I'm gonna check that I have enough shotgun cartridges and rifle ammo, then I'm gonna find me a 200Tdi owner  :twisted:
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 14:56:52 »
With this scenario, what will happen to vehicles electrics if they are not in use, and would it make a difference if the battery was disconnected?  I saw a very similar thing to this on the telly.  It had Chris Ryan talking about a situation that could occur due to a solar flare.  It was a very interesting program showing the breakdown of law and order due to communications shut down.

If anyone knows what the program was called could they let us know (I would like to see it again!).
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 15:08:23 »
< 23 hours

And...

ESA, NASA, Astra, RSA etc have all announced that satteleite services will be interrupted over the next few days as they move satelites up into a 'parking' orbit and power them down. They make it clear that this is with imediate effect and that some may be lost. It also comes out at this point that several key satelites do NOT have the power or propellant to be parked, still more wont power up after being shut down.

The national emergency broadcast system comes into play as the ESA start moving satelites out of place. Sky news will disapear shortly along with all astra/hotbird channels. Its now revealed atht this was known about but no-one wanted to panic the public. All emergency services are on standby and the government has started to move items to deep, secure shelters such as those under London and Portsmouth.

Interference is becomming evident on the lower bands of the radion, though barely noticable.

With it now being official, stockpiling starts. Eployeese that cant help are sent home causing chose while still others race to secure systems and data.

Nothing from any utility yet. BT and virgin hint that there may be outages.

Patrick Moore points out that the northern Lights will be visible from all over the UK and possibly france tonight.

Drift - think about what 'riding this out' means?
Wing Nut - I assume you'll be doing the same to your local transmitter and relay stations?
Littlepow - good idea, and you'll probobly have a nice stash of useless electronics. Although stash some car batteries, ECUs, radios etc in there ;)
Hightower and TDi90 - Assume the refineries are going to stop. Think back to the fuel protests.

Dr Strangeglove - If the battery is connected they are fair game. Its possible that the ecus may survive powered down as they are in a farady cage however I dont beleive this stops protons and other high energy particles that will hapilly penetrate the planet and come out the other side. I's assume the worst and say no. Your keyfob for the alarm will probobly be killed or rendered inoperable.

Unmanaged engines would be OK BUT there arent that many of them. Even the simple Suzuki engines have an ecu of sorts. 200tDi would survive, 300 might. Vitara, fronty, and all newer cars wont.

The lada/skoda drivers will be laughing for a while.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
1 day left...
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 15:16:04 »
yes veg oil bring it.
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
1 day left...
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 15:21:44 »
Get the kelly kettle out & have a cup of tea...then kick back & watch everyone destroy themselves  :lol:
Get in my 200tdi defender & drive the empty roads  :lol:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 15:29:05 »
Hahahahahahahahaha, I'm 200tdi equiped, I have horses, a shotgun or four, the ability to eat anything if pushed and I WILL be the leader of the gang, I WILL have entertainment (all my minions can dress up and act out scenes from will and grace and cops!) Ah the good life.

Just a thought - You'd be stuffed if you've got a pacemaker!
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 15:47:59 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"

Nothing from any utility yet. BT and virgin hint that there may be outages.

No change there then :(
--

Drift

1 day left...
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 16:07:06 »
Drift - think about what 'riding this out' means?

I do tend the have ostrich syndrome  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Now wheres me beer  :P

Offline martha focker

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 16:22:10 »
ill go nick traybackdans 200tdi defender, and fix the thing myself ready for silverdale on sunday :lol:
don't worry i'm here

www.gotmud.co.uk

www.rib.net

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 16:28:55 »
about 22 hours...

The inital effects will be reaching us. Nothing more than a usual solar flare event, although probobly a biggun. The grid gets knocked out in a few places and the expected repair time is given as a few hours. Other amenities in these areas suffer a little.

In the shops things are looking a bit grim. Stockpiling has started in earnest and the shelves are being cleared faster than they can be restocked. Queues are starting to form at Garages and the police have dealt with minor incidents alread. US police already have their hands full.

Theres been unrest in some areas as cults and extremist groups start to make religious claims about the event, in some areas its getting downright nasty. As tensions rise in some areas round the world the military are deployed.

In old Blighty someone has 'leaked' information abotu the possible effect on the biology of the planet and use. Aparently it DOES cause cancer in rats ;) People are still struggling to get home and there has been the first of a serios of major accidents. The Motorways are beginning to get a bit dodge and the M25 stopped before it even started :)

Those of you out playing will be having issues with your CB radios. 'Skip' and interference are getting significantly worse. Whereas you can now hear Pedro in Spain, you cant hear your mate 5 miles away. (why are you out playing anyhow?) Mobile phone networks are suffering from the load and as error correction schemes kick in call quality starts to degrade when it wasnt that good anyway. The first network outage is on the way.

Comms comanys are now starting damage limitation and the effects of the storm are being felt there too, lines are poor and as circuits are shutdown and isolated capacity drops too. Engaged tones start to be heard on long distance as satelite capacity is diminished along with cable availability. You'll be seeing some radio and TV interference about now, though nothing bad.

The US government reports that there is no way to move the GPS satelites out of  harms way, worse one of the constelation is damaged from an impact with another satelite shifting out of orbit leading to the loss of both.

Astra network shuts down in prepartion for moving to a parking orbit and Sky is lost along with a considerable number of terrestrial systems and outside broadcasts get a lot harder. Hotbird follows suit as do some comms sats.

NASA drops a bombshell. Theres no way to get the crew off the ISS and they will have to ride it out, failing to mention the likeleyhood of a rescue mission after is slim.

The UK govt is still taking flack and in some areas police are deployed to keep things in control. Specials are called in as are volutnatry workers for the Ambulance trusts, St Johns, At Andrews, Red cross, Samaritans etc. The TA and reserves are called up. No one in authority Actually seems to be doing anything.

The seriousness is now sinking in, some people are still unaware.

Businesses are putting data onto CDs/DVDs (these will survive) and struggling to back up everything. Everything is isolated as they go.

As the hour wears on anomalies are being reported with regards to radio systems. Operation yellow ribbon is now repeated on an international scale. No more flights are allowed to take off, ironically there are still military aircraft in the air.

Still nothing from the Utilities.

A few bizarre incidents beging to get reported in the news. GPS system behaving erratically, pipeline engineers electrocuted and strange fires. Internet connectivity begins to be affected as business shut down systems and networks.

The manager of Telehouse London has a nervous breakdown :)

Stuntman - Thats the sort of thinking I'm after :) You have to think how the public would react to this though, we are a nation of ostriches.

L90OOK - Again, early days yes, anything past that you become a target. Veg oil has to be refined too :)

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Drift

1 day left...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 16:34:42 »
Im not allowing anyone to run their cars on alcohol, thats mine to forget the pain of loosing my pc  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

A good thing at least Eastenders will be finished  :wink:

I would take all my booze to Joddrell Bank for full updates  :wink:

With a straw and my head in a rabbit hole  :oops:

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 16:42:06 »
Quote from: Drift

quote]

isn't that where all those people were taken by a beam of light  :lol:  :lol:  (quatermass)
Matt

Drift

1 day left...
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 16:55:40 »
Quote from: wing nut
Quote from: "Drift"

quote]

isn't that where all those people were taken by a beam of light  :lol:  :lol:  (quatermass)

:shock:  ok Im off to Liverpool musium planeterium  :shock:

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
1 day left...
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 16:55:42 »
Stock up on more shotgun cartridges, buy more  guns & become Mad Max...in a 200tdi  :lol:
Put the kelly kettle on again & have a brew.
Make sure my boat & fishing gear is on the beach not 20 miles away  :roll:
Befriend Ray Mears quickly...or kidnap him.
Learn to refine rapeseed oil toot sweet.

If all else fails do as Billy Connelly says..."at the end of days I'll be the one behind the stone wall with the sheep & a syringe"...  :lol:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 17:26:05 »
I'll leave it for a bit as not a lot would probobly happen for a few more hours.

Probobly someone would get shot somewhere as a result of people panic buying.

Plane down on the states but no-one actually knows why at this stage. All souls on board lost.

Few more power cuts in the uk, radio issues. Undouably the mobile networks will be suffering.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
1 day left...
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 17:49:41 »
:roll:  :roll: Remember the Milenium Bug scare?

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 17:57:02 »
I made £8k for a nights work.

None of us wanted to work so they kept upping the ante. Despite us telling them that no-one NEEDED to be there.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 19:15:13 »
i would go down to the indian have a vindaloo to keep me warm then steal all of there veggie oil from up stairs ( they always seem to keep 12 barrels) then fill my cool box full of ice beer bacon and egg with tomato sauce butter and bread and go sit up on the big hill overlooking the town with my air rifle set up bbq and deck chair on top of my 200tdi 90 and watch the events unfold then i would go steal some police sirens and lights and handcuffs and arrest random people then go back up to my hill and get in sleeping bag and sit there  in landy with heater on listening to the aleans communicate through the CB radio
i blame it on china :lol:
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 20:02:49 »
Kizz - CB was going out 2 hours ago :)

So where are we now?...

Well the ligt show in the skies will be pretty. I wouldnt say it'd be that bad, Tesco would be having a hard time by now. Most satelites will be out although GPS will be gtting distinctly wobbly by now.

Plane crash would have probobly been down to problems with navigation/radios.

Radio will be starting to suffer about now, interference becoomming noticable and lots of misc problems starting to show. Changes in the outer layer of the atmosphere are stating to affect very low orbit satelites.

Some will have decided this will be as bad as it gets and decided to ride it out, others are still stockpiling and preparing. Most areas will have their emergency planning teams in place and have those plans active.

Hospitals may start to think about moving ICU patients somewhere safer, I would expect govt warnings to be in circulation in the papers too. Reccomendations are going to be for people to stay put, warnings about air traffic being curtailed and vehiclar movement suffering the same fate. Lots of reassuring talk about it all. The Utilities assure us that their derv/gas backup pumps will keep things going. Larger companies will probobly still be trying to get ready.

The internet would be suffering by now as would the telephone networks as equipment is now being shut down and the first storm causes failures and issues. Its becomming obvious that those off the grid are staying that way for a while.

Forecourt fuel supplies are under pressure and tankers arent able to keep up. Stock levels in stores are running dangerously low with staples almost if not exhausted. Getting hold of Gas bottles if becomming hard and places like Towsure are taking a pummeling. 12v gear is being purchased in large amounts as are engine generators.

TV wise, the service is going to be reduced, outside feeds being realyed by microwave which in itself may be suffering or worse IP telephony over already congested networks. Each operator has suffered a service outage of someking by now with mobiles being unreliable.

Communications via radio are suffering but as night has fallen its easing off a bit. The US is dealing with the problems we've been having. There have been 'flashovers' of violnce in some areas and the cults are having a feild day.

The roads have quetened although things did get a bit hecktic earlier, the increased number of accidents over a normal friday have been cleared and police & A&E staff are breathing easy again. There'll be more incidents tonight than normal though.

Some of you guys with Rover Alarms might wake up to flat batteries tomorrow as will a few other manufactureres. All in all it seems to be a storm in a teacup.

Theres been a few more odd accidents since earlier too, a guy getting a belt off of his telephone, your VCR needed to be reset when you got in and maybe your cumpter seems to be having a bad day.

Internet wise, things are slow and you'll find a lot of sites gone or showing holding pages as expendable kit is left running. Mud-club is probobly still here but slow, and I'm guessing it'll be BUSY :)

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 20:13:44 »
For myself Id log onto Mud-Club, check out the Discovery section, and see if that fella ever got the 37's fitted to his Disco.
If they aint done by then Id guess they were never gonna happen and the thread really was BS.

Rolla :wink:
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline shaun and co

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 20:37:19 »
be sitting in my woods with boxes of cartridges and shotgun, plenty of matches, all the cars (i have nothing newer than a 300) as much petrol as i could get my hands on. watch the pretty light show and wait for society to break down whilst having a beer. periodically take the humber for a drive to see how far things have broken down. at some point try and find out how the wife is getting on!
Theres no such thing as the wrong sort of mud!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
1 day left...
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 23:18:41 »
So basically we're screwed?

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 00:31:54 »
hmmm well i have had my curry now,  should stay warm for a while :lol:

i will burn all of my school work to keep warm  :lol:  beats the dog ate it excuse
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 13:56:04 »
i load up my disco and head here :lol:

http://www.willys-mb.co.uk/strategic-reserve.htm
Matt

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
1 day left...
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 23:32:10 »
what happens next? i have 3 creates of red bull to keep me awake  :lol:
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal