AuthorTopic: jimny cutting out  (Read 2190 times)

Offline jamesey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • land rover recovery service.
  • Referrals: 0
jimny cutting out
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:33:51 »
went greenlaning on sunday and when i went over rough terrain if kept cutting out it was like it was running out of petrol and i couldnt rev it , eventually it stalled , and wouldnt restart for 2 to 3 minutes ,  is this a common fault
could it be a dikey fuel pump , where is it  
i darnt go off roading again until its sorted :cry:

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:59:56 »
Not a common fault I've heard of - just check all the obvious. There was a 'fault ' on early Jimnys where the engin would just cut out then resatrt for no apparent reason but this occures at medium to high constant cruising speed and has something to do with the ecu and crank shaft position sensor? Mine does it occasionaly on motorways, but all that happens is the engin hesitates for a split second then carries on.

I'd check water hasn't got to you electrics/airbox etc, or that the fuel lines are ok.
..V..

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
jimny cutting out
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 14:23:55 »
I know it's a totally different truck but my mav did a very similar thing once on rutland rigg, turned out it was the ignition switch had a dry connector. Might be worth a look.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 17:36:11 »
where is the crank sensor , mine cuts out for a split second when i drive it sometimes , it might have somthing to do with that
where is it it might be worth a try , i dont want to be taking my tank out to check the pump when it might be the sensor any pictures would help  mine is a 2000 w reg

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 17:56:46 »
2000 w reg should be OK anyway, but from what I understand it is only a problem at constant speed for long periods, not when traveling at slow, variable throttle openings as when off roading, and also the problem is always only for a split second. What you describe isn't linked to the crank position sensor problem. Have you had it in deep water recently? I drowned mine at the weekend and the engin cut out, and the the starter motor wouldn't work. Managed to dry it out and next day was OK. I'd try drying plugs plug leads, coils, wireing first then treat them to a decent damp start (not WD40) spray. I would guess the prob is more likely electrical, but could be worth disconeccting the fuel line from the pump at the engin end and crank engi over to see what sort of fuel delivery your getting?
..V..

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 18:08:17 »
cheers ill try that , the split second fault is also what it  is doing when im driving but not every day
im just concerned about the off road fault as i dont want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere :cry:

Offline jims jimny

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 19:48:00 »
shouldnt be off-roading on your own asking for trouble anyway

as for fault sounds like fuel starve  (  but i aint no mechanic )
mods so far  2"procomp suspension  
205/75/15 colway mt
diff breathers
t-case protection plate
snorkel/piper cross filter + loads more

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 20:07:18 »
as i understand the fuel pump is in the tank along with the filter is it not
or is that the fuel filter just behind the steering box at the front of the car?????????

Offline buckshot

Attack Member
vapour lock
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 21:30:09 »
hi, the sj.s did this on rough ground and we cured it by simply removing the one way pressure release valve near the filler pipe and replacing with a long plain piece of pipe,you can check if this is the problem by driving over rough ground to shake the fuel about in the tank and then remove the filler cap and see if it hisses under pressure if so then your problem will be vapour lock starving the engine of fuel,hope this helps.
aches & pains

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 21:44:17 »
when i go to fill up and take the filler cap off it hisses very much so , where exactly is it on the jimny :oops:
i hope it is this for my searching sakes

Offline buckshot

Attack Member
pressure valve
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 21:15:29 »
not sure on yours but on a sammy its behind the metal filler cover in the rear quarter panel.the pipe with the valve will be clipped to the main filler rubber pipe,remember to replace with pipe of the same length.
aches & pains

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 11:21:16 »
thanks for the picture i have one of these on the drivers inner wing that goes to my fuel charcoal filter , ill take it off today and see if i can get a new one it might be blocked   cheers

Offline buckshot

Attack Member
tank breather
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 17:34:12 »
hope it cures the problem but it is normaly the one near the tank filler neck that causes the problem,don,t forget they are a one way valve so blow down it before fitting just to make sure its the right way.good luck
aches & pains

Offline damohick

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 13:24:18 »
Hi, I have a 2001 and it kept cutting out ( sounded like lack of fuel) ... wouldnt start for a couple of mins then would run fine. To start with it would only do this at motorway speed but after a while it was doing it alot. after some research i decided it might be the crank angle sensor ( I belive it was when it got too hot because if I squirted it with a hose it would run fine) I replaced it and all is well now!

The crank angle sensor is behind the alternator and cost about £35 I think.

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 23:19:32 »
ive been green lanning again today and its been doing it worse than ever at least 15 times broke down
my mate suggested that we took a spark plug and tested the leads for a spark when turnning the jimny over it wasnt sparking but then it did and started up ok
then when it did it again we tried the other to find that the actual lead had snapped off and left the clip end on the plug  :?
when looking at the lead it looked like this had been going for a while so i bodged a normal lead on so i could get to and fro to work and back till i get one
now with that lead on its missing when im driving for some reason

what is the sensor behind the alternator like to do is it a easy job????
can i buy these leads seperate or is it coil packs :?:

Offline damohick

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 19:03:58 »
The Sensor is really easy to do ... just one bolt ... the clip was the hardest thing ... took me about 10 mins

Offline jamesey

Attack Member
jimny cutting out
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 00:17:20 »
like my other post it may be related , ive fitted new leads today and all is well at the mo , no missing cutting out or anything i just need to take it green laning again to see :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal