AuthorTopic: unlucky s111 buy  (Read 1712 times)

Offline wilton84

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
unlucky s111 buy
« on: October 15, 2007, 14:42:09 »
as most of you know from some of my fist posts i bought a s11 not long ago 2 1/4 diesel.  unluicky for me found out all the pistenrings are gone. but just to let you know me and big ant started repalceing the engin this week end to a 2 1/2 defender diesel engin. just waiting on parts to put it in next week end. but just want to say engin came out like a dream and that every thing is going fine with it and lilly will be back on and off the road in next weekend if every thing gos well thats why iv not been to any pay and brake days yet needed to fix it first to brake it :P. also just wanted to know if any one elce has done this change of engin and if thay came up with any problems or any hints thay can give thanks dave lilly and bigant
if its broke...

...put a bigger engin in it!

protected by mr spuk devil duck leave him were he is scotty

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 16:14:03 »
I've read about this sort of conversion a while ago.

You'll need to 'manufacture' something for the exhaust as the Series downpipe won't fit the 2.5, some sort of combination of ninety/oneten manifold and series exhaust. You may want a larger exaust than standard series though.

Also you'll need some sort of conversion from throttle linkage to throttle cable for the carb.

Above that, not sure, but that should get you going a little :)
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline wilton84

Attack Member
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 16:42:50 »
when we looked at the throatel linkage it was a bit defrent but we thing it will work with out any major messing about the down pipe is somthing were going have to have a look at becouse its somthing were not sure about thank you for the info also theres a bottle looking like thing to one side with a pipe coming off it and im not sure were the pipe gos or what it is becouse its not on my old 2 1/4 engin any one out there with a running 2.5 90/110 please let me know
if its broke...

Offline coco

Attack Member
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 22:45:11 »
Hi
Just fit the 2 1/4 manifolds to the 2.5 ,they will bolt straight on. Then use standard 2 1/4 exhaust.

Offline needbeer

Attack Member
2 1/2 defender diesel engin
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 23:07:26 »
ive got series 2a and that has a 2.5 td engine out of a defender in it it looks like its got the td downpipe and its moded to the series system it works well gos like stink its still useing the series  throttle linkage ill take pics if you need any shaun
shaun
 300 tdi disco with a few toys
 needbeer@northants4x4.com
 1970 series 2a with 2.5 td

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:30:19 »
I've done this conversion - both N/A and TD engines in a series. I used bits off the the old engine, which was 2.25D. For the N/A conversion the manifolds will bolt straight on 2.5 engine and the exhaust system will bolt straight on. Use the 2.25 thermostat housing and the 90deg top hose can be used. Use the series radiator and overflow bottle, or do away with the bottle and use a header tank. The glow plugs will be 12v, so bypass the ballast resistor if you are still using it. There is an electric fuel switch on the injector pump so you will have to supply a power source for it - I just used the side light switch for it, but as a security measure you could have a hidden switch somewhere. I used a series throttle link rod to connect the cable to the injector pump.

Les.

Offline wilton84

Attack Member
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 16:20:26 »
thanks a lot for the info guys realy apreshated "sorry for poor spelling" what about the throatal  on the inlet pipe becouse it has a flap on the 2 1/4 and the 2.5  none turbo is a strait pipe i was just going link that my snorc any ideas if i need to use the old manafold or can i just use the 2.5 manafold on my snorc

thanks a lot dave

ps builds going well but sloww hoping to have it in this week end
if its broke...

Offline bigant

Attack Member
  • hmm whats this then...
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:23:36 »
dave learn to spell u fool!!. an ya cheers for the replys guys:) all helps lol.
now it seems i got to get this one done fastish as a mates just blew his rangerover up so looks like thats commin in next lol.
And the Leaf spring shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a thousand thousand fold. The din of a million Series like unto a great storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of the Coil shall tremble - ollr 15:4

Offline wilton84

Attack Member
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:39:50 »
progress report or lack of it yesterday we tryed for the first time to fit the new engine and atm i wish i bought a v8 prob the same about of work. after buying new trust berring springplate and other bits and bobs we start to trying lower the engine in. o look the battry plate is in the way after frying the grinder and bending the metal to brake it we try again. engine replace ment mark 2 after been told that the engine mounts were the same we found out thay most sertly were not after mutch swaring and thretting to buy a santana later we gave up for the week end and will try again next week with more money spent on it. at the min to change the qoute on big ants thing i would raver drive a toyota then re put an engine in my landy :P  talk to you all next week end hopfully be running then
if its broke...

Offline wilton84

Attack Member
unlucky s111 buy
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 04:05:27 »
new update sorry its late. after buying a new grinder and lots of merry grinding laters with me trying to set my hair on fire.
the engine still is not in the studs on the gear box dont all line up. theres 1 difrent from what iv been told.
so were back this week end to mend the broken lilly.
hope she runs seen as i thretend her by saying i was going buy a santana or a suzuki if she keeps it up
but hopfully she will be running soon fingers crossed wish us luck dave out.
if its broke...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal