AuthorTopic: I'm at my whits end.......  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Disco-Ron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
I'm at my whits end.......
« on: October 14, 2007, 22:16:57 »
Help....

I have no hair left to pull out, i have a problem with my steering, as detailed here.
http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=49620
I have now changed the leaky seal on the steering box, and you guessed it, it now leaks from the 'input' shaft...... i have also removed the rerservoir and checked that both inlet and outlet are clean, and not blocked with anything.....

I am now thinking that my only option is to buy a NEW steering box, and an oe pump.... ie, spend [PooPoo] loads.......

So, mm4x4 list a 'new' box for 220 +vat..... craddocks have on ebay a listing for a 'new' box for 206ish..... inc..... however, it states a 50 surcharge, which makes me thing thats it's not 'new'....... they also list an adwest type box, for 307....!!!! oh, and thats plus vat!!!!

Is it worth searching out the best price, or should i buy both units from the same source, so that if one fails i can say i changed them both at the same time.......

I really don't know what to do, i don't obviously want to spend over 400 notes.... but it's looking like the only option......

HELP!!!!!
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Dr Evil

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 22:30:05 »
You can buy steering boxes from the manufacturer. The company is Adwest based in reading. they make all the boxes for Land Rover, but you can now buy direct & are cheaper than parts suppliers.
Simon

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 22:39:29 »
Yeh, i've seen their site.... but they have no prices on there.... they also don't seem to supply pumps.... ideally i'd like to source both parts from the same place....
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Dr Evil

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 22:44:28 »
last price I saw was £164 for a brand new box. But if you want to save money IMO shop around and go for the cheapest, even if its from two different places.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 22:49:11 »
164.... was that from Adwest????

not fussed about saving too much, i now just need something i can fit, and bl00dy forget.... i've had enough of messing about with it......

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 23:03:15 »
Just looking at your posts, have you tried removing or replacing the steering damper ? if its full of mud or the seals have gone the extra strain on the box might be blowing the seals, I know the one I tool off my first discovery was more like a rusted rod sitting in a plastic shell.

And if you have a lift kit I would imagine the larger angle the bar from the steering box that goes to the passenger side hub would take more effort than the box can handle - Ive never heard about this before but it seems to make sense to me !

Failing both of those and to make a change, why not try a recon 3 bolt box from paddocks, I fitted one to my 1990 V8, its a bit heavier but bolted straight onto mine but you might have to investigate a new drop arm, not 100% sure if I replaced mine or not.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 23:07:43 »
Peter, just yesterday i replaced the top seal on the current box, i had the front axle on axle stands, ie, wheels not on the ground.... i topped the fluid up, and started the engine, i simply let it idle for 20 mins, turning the steering wheel every now and then...... surprise surprise, it sprung a leak in a different place, i will try my hardest NOT to EVER deal with paddocks again, especailly for a recon steering box, the quality of the boxes they've sent me has been diabolical, and they don't even respond to emails!!!

The truck is lifted, and the steering damper has no sleeve on it, so it can not get full of mud......

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 23:21:34 »
The only thing I can think of is something making the steering hard to turn, which could be...

steering damper, bottom ball joints, whatever the pivot is at the top (cant remember off the top of my head), the drop arm ball joint.

The other steering ball joints dont actually move very much anyway and I dont think would stiffen the steering.  

All the above would make the steering feel stiffer though.

If you have replaced the box and the pump then they cant be at fault everytime.  

Did the new pump come with its own pulley ? if the pulley is a different size maybe its spinning the pump too quickly and putting in too much pressure ??

I am clutching at straws, I will ask around tomorrow and see if anyone else can think of something.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline RichardM

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 23:28:55 »
Quote from: Disco-Ron
i will try my hardest NOT to EVER deal with paddocks again, especailly for a recon steering box, the quality of the boxes they've sent me has been diabolical, and they don't even respond to emails!!!
/quote]

I've never bought a recon steering box from Paddocks, but I have bought lots from them. I have never had a problem with them or anything I have bought from them.  They have always responded to emails, sometimes ringing me to make sure things are ok
Richard Martin
Cardiff
1994 300Tdi Automatic

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 23:29:11 »
Thanks Peter, but with the axle off the ground i can turn the wheels from lock to lock by hand, nothing is tight......

My brain is saying too much pressure, but it's a new pump, and therefore prv, the pulley is the original one, i'm just totally stuck........ i'd hate to be either paying someone to fix it, or even worse being paid to fix it, and just getting to this point and being stuck.....

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 23:35:44 »
Have you checked the condition of the return hose? Restrictions caused by dented steel pipe or de-laminated rubber hose can cause pressure  to build up and blow seals.

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 18:53:59 »
Mike, with that in mind, i removed the entire return pipe, and cut the crimped pipe off the box outlet, and i now have a piece of oil proof rubber hose from the box outlet direct to the reservoir.......

Adwest 'remanufactured' box, is 165 +vat......

get this, craddocks sell boxes on ebay, 'brand new'... but they still want a £50 surchrage and your old box returned.....EH????

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 19:05:32 »
Quote from: "Disco-Ron"

get this, craddocks sell boxes on ebay, 'brand new'... but they still want a £50 surchrage and your old box returned.....EH????

Thats because the re conditioners pay around 35quid for each old box they are sent.

Mike

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 21:50:49 »
Yeh, so Craddocks are basically stealing your old box then.....

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 22:51:39 »
Quote from: "Disco-Ron"
Yeh, so Craddocks are basically stealing your old box then.....

Er, no. They are offering you a new box in exchange for £X amount of cash and your old box, or £X + 50 quid, you decide which is best for you.

Mike

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 23:27:43 »
Maybe, but thats not how it seems.... esp when they wanna charge 307 for an Adwest box, that i can get direct for under 200!!!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 18:26:38 »
Well, i have now ordered a brand new steering box, along with an oe pump, so fingers crossed in a few days i'll be sorted, but poorer.....:(

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 20:19:26 »
Considered the possibility its the pump? The Audi Vickers pumps can do this except they blow hoses. Theres a pressure releif valve that gunks up whick is servicable on these. Dont know what make/type the pump is on a disco, not looked yet.

Sorry if you've looked at this avenue.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 21:11:20 »
Well, when i changed the box last time, (for the thrid time) i did indeed fit a new britpart pump...... however, the rumour is that they're made in china, and aren't good.... thats why i've now ordered an OE one.... made by hoburn eaton.....

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 01:00:09 »
Britpart, China.

figures :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 18:51:22 »
Well, just finished fitting a 'new' adwest box, along with a new pump, i even had a new flexi hose crimped onto the pressure feed pipe, in case it was breaking down internally..... so far so good, although it's only been driven out of the garage as yet.....

Here's hoping!!!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 18:34:43 »
Well well well, here we are a mere 5 weeks later, and the damn pump is leaking   AGAIN!!!!!

What the hell am i doing wrong....???

Seriously considering selling it now... i just can't be arsed any more.....

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 16:47:15 »
Come on.... someone must have an idea.....

Offline Ralph

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 21:18:38 »
Non power steering box, get a great pyhisque and no leaks!! :shock:

Sorry mate just tring to cheer you up.
You hold it hard on full lock for any length of time while effecting a tight manover such as where you park it regulery.

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 21:29:17 »
Dunno what to suggest? But i think i have a pump n steering box from a disco which was broken a whilst back, if nothing else  You could use it to compare pulley sizes ect ?? just a thought?

Good luck , it drives ya mad sometimes
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 00:03:56 »
I do use the vehicle for trials, so turning into tight spots can be needed... however, i have such a good lock on it, i rarely need 'full' lock anyway....

I would expect it to last more than 300 miles either way.... it's only done 2 trils in that time, no more than 5 miles of it aswell... absolute max!!

I still have the original pump, so may refit that, but i have contacted where i got it from for thier views......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal