AuthorTopic: 110 trailer???  (Read 730 times)

Offline XIL5459

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
110 trailer???
« on: October 11, 2007, 13:38:57 »
Hi all,

I have the back end of a 110, (As advertised in the for sale section), and was thinking last night that it would make a good trailer.
I have seen somewhere, pics of others out there but was wondering if anybody has made one or has any pics I could look at??
I was going to use the back end of a 110 chassis so it looks just like my 110 but with the front and doors missing,if you see what I mean.
Also going to use stripped rear axle and was thinking of using two handbrake actuators to work drum brakes.

Would apreciate some thoughts.

Thanks
Steve

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
110 trailer???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 13:53:31 »
It would be very heavy! Also, the springs and dampers would be inappropriate rates for it, I suspect.

There is a guy near us who is using an ex-utilities 130 rear body, You know, the one with the roller shutters, etc. He has built beams onto the underside and is fitting a leaf spring beam axle. That way he keeps the weight down and can tailor the spring/damper rates to suit the load capacity.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline XIL5459

Attack Member
110 trailer???
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 15:21:05 »
Well I dont have a chassis for it as of yet as the one that the body comes from was knackered so it`s just as easy to make a chassis for it.
I want it to run on the same wheels and tyres as my defender and to be at the same height.
I suppose I could put leaf springs on and then make a tubular axle welded to the old hub mountings for the drum brakes.
I looked at buying some of these trailer suspension units that come with the brakes attached but they wont take a landrover wheel and I would have to build the chassis up so it sits at the right height.

Thanks for the thoughts  

Steve

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
110 trailer???
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 18:09:05 »
Easiest way to get LR hubs, without going to the like of Ifor Williams who do use them is to buy a Sankey and scrap it.

But just so you know, any trailer built or significanlty modyfied after 1986 has to comply with the C&U regs, by law.

These regs require that the brakes used must be auto-reversing and the brakes must also be rated at or above the MAM of the trailer (also called MTPLM).

So when you see those campers towing Smart cars along behind them, they're not legal.  Not unless they are on a trailer.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline XIL5459

Attack Member
110 trailer???
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 18:25:05 »
Hi Thanks for that, so for the auto reversing I just have to have an autoreversing connection thingy,(Cant think today!!) like on my ifor williams trailer I had before it was nicked.
Also the origional brakes from the landy will be up to spec or not??
Is there somewhere I can download the regs from??
If I ws to buy a sankey, I wouldnt bother with this idea.
Want to do it for next to nothing if poss, that is unless someone wants the Tub, sides and roof from a 110 hardtop??

Thanks

Steve

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
110 trailer???
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 18:46:26 »
Sell the bits, buy a Sankey.

The best way of building auto reverse brakes is to use the correct hitch and wheel/hub assemblies.  Have a look at the towsure website (the prices will put you off).

The way auto reverse works is that the brake shoes have a cam action in them, so when the wheel rotates backwards the cam spins and releases the brake effort.  Unfortunately these already expensive itmes then need an equaly expensive coupling head/overunn mechanism to operate the cable brakes.

One way of getting LR wheels would be to look for a damaged horsebox.  But I'm already looking and havn't seen one I can afford yet.  If you get the chassis plate from the horsebox though you can just 'rebody' it, ie keep the chassis etc and therefore use whatever brakes it has, legally.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal