AuthorTopic: Wont go into Low ? Options ?  (Read 775 times)

Offline Brian the Sn@il

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
  • Referrals: 0
Wont go into Low ? Options ?
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:50:11 »
1978 Series 3
Non Overdrive

Cant get it into Low ratio

THe lever moves to High / Neatral fine, but just wont move to Low.

Ive tried it stationary and on the move ( slowly in 1st )

But nothing :(

Any ideas guys ?
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 14:05:01 »
This is going to sound daft but mine wouldn't budge form high (I was almost thinking it needed attention) until I pulled the stick very hard with the engine and gearbox warmed up , now its much easier and works fine!

PS Wat exactly does it say on the side of your truck, emergency fresh air, support unit ??? Can I sell fresh air, iv got loads on the farm?
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 14:11:15 »
Seazed selectors probubly.  Is it in 4 or 2wd?  Rock the front prop in all lever posituons to see if its "locked" or free.  High range should be 2wd unless the yellow button is depressed (you'll need to select low range to deselect it though) and neutral should be perminant 4WD the same as low range (despite the fact the yellow button apears to work the same as it does in high range.

To unsease it you need to remove the black metal cap from the end of the front wheel drive houseing - its where the transfer lever goes into the box under the drivers floor (to be removed).  From memory the yellow button pin needs removing too.  From there you can plusgas the linkages and perswade them to start moving again.  You might also find it usefull to remove the top coverplate closest to the transmission brake - from there you should be able to use something to push this rod out.  Also by putting some light presure on the transfer leaver and tapping the box with a hammer might shock it loose a bit easyer - don't go too mad though.

Its a slightly complicated system with 3 rods and a rocker shaft, and some shafts are moved solely by springs.  If things stick up it can do all sorts of funny things.  Sadly if this doesn't cure it you'll need to take it apart as it might have been assembled wrong.

As a temp measure, if its stuck in 4WD and you want to use it on the road you can IF you unlock 1 Free wheel hub, don't unlock both! If you don't have FWH then you'll have to take a propshaft off.

This is a tipical problem for series landys that haven't had the transfer gears used resently,  such as been standing or road only use.  during normal use it shouldn't be a problem.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 16:00:53 »
thanks for your replies guys,  I sell Air Conditioning ;)

S188

You have provided a great check list there, the wheels will be back on it on Friday so we will go through it.
Its knowing what to do and what to check, and you have provided all the info, many thanks for that, much appreciated
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal