AuthorTopic: Tyres (again)  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Skywalker

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Tyres (again)
« on: January 06, 2005, 18:16:31 »
Hi all, sorry not been around for a while, Happy New Year etc...
 :?: Question for all you more experienced folk out there (which probably means everybody), I'm currently running on BF Goodrich 265/75R16 tyres, seem an excellent tyre in general and good on the road, off road I have struggled a bit in the mud.  Am thinking of some mud terrains on steel wheels, choices so far are BFG MT (most expensive), Grizzly Claw (middle of the price range) or Colway MT, (certainly the cheapest).  Has anyone experience of these both on and off road.  I have heard the Grizzly's are very noisy on road but damm good off road, Goodrich, Colway MT's ?????,  :? look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

Offline Topple

Attack Member
    • Donegal, Ireland
Tyres (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 19:58:31 »
Dave,

I'm running Colway MT's on my 90, whilst there is some road noise it's not excessive. I havn'nt had a problem off road either. The Colways are Q rated (99mph) so if you won't have a problem on the motorway.

I had read reports a couple of years ago about some of the lugs coming off the grizlly's

Paul
Paul

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
Tyres (again)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 20:53:38 »
I had colway mt's on my 90 when i got it, good on & off road
I have bfg mt's on it now, just the same but are lasting longer, the same patton to my eyes.
I know 2 people with grisleys both got them this year & both have lugges missing   :cry:

Id give the grizleys a miss & go for ether colway or bfg, the colway don't last as long but are a lot cheaper  :!:  swing's & rounderbouts me think's.

DM  :)

Edited to say by this year i mean last year  :oops:
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

coffee boy

Tyres (again)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 00:33:07 »
i have 285 75 grizzlys on a 90 exelent in mud offroad but a bit slippery on wet roads had no probs on 90 , but had them on a 3.9 rrc before and im not a slow driver ! i would buy another set, can be a bit aggresive for green lanning though . i also have mt's but use them more on road and lanning.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Tyres (again)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 08:18:13 »
For my tuppence worth, I would plump time and time again for the BGF MT. I've run mine for 40,000 miles so far and have barely taken the corners of the knobbles. Excellent traction in all but the worst conditions and less damaging to lanes than the Grizzilies.

Sure, for off-roading proper you can fit something totally aggressive, but I found it a bind and added an hour onto my day swapping 'em on and swapping 'em back off again. I put the MT's on and never took 'em off.

I know people (including the Green Oval) really like the Goodyear MTR and prefer 'em to the MT, but I've never driven with 'em. They do seem a very good tyre though.

HTH
cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Tyres (again)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:04:09 »
For the last three years I have run with BFG AT's on the 90, just upgraded to BFG MT's. You do get your monies worth. The AT's have done over 30K and still have a lot of tread on them, The MT's are slightly noiser on the road, but will all the other rattles on the 90 its hard to spot it.

Go For the BFG's worth it in the long run.

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Tyres (again)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 18:30:53 »
Thanks to everybody for your replies, the information is really useful, think I'm either going for Colway's or BFG MT depending on how much overdraft is left after Christmas, now just got to decide either 235/85 R16, 265/75 R16, 285/75....................???, nowt's ever simple is it.

Ta
Dave

SW

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Tyres (again)
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 18:59:22 »
Hi all,
Well managed to completely change my mind in the end  :oops: , was offered a set of nearly new grizzly's on steel modulars at a pretty fair price so....  I'll let u know what I fink to em after the next outing.

Thats another story though, should have been this Sunday but   :evil: due to somebody not sending the right parts thats now doubtfull, unless anyone out there knows better

next post .......

Cheers
Dave

SW

Offline Whitelandyman90

Attack Member
    • Deepest darkest west of Ireland
Tyres (again)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 10:13:27 »
I've got 265/75 R16 BFG Muds on my 90 and have had no problems at all over the last 12 months. Amazing off road and confident on road, a bit iffy in the wet but my 2.5TD doesn't do fast and therefore no problem. I think they are worth the extra and require no mods to steering etc. Pay and Play  :lol:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't dirty, do something about it!!

Yeah, I know it's not white and it's not a 90 but my last one was :-)

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Tyres (again)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 15:47:33 »
Got to say the grizzly's performed great, mixture of mud, ice etc big improvment off road.  On road the CrewCab didn't seem to handle much differently but..........  These must be the "noisiest" tyres on Tarmac you have ever heard............. were's me ear defenders

Think I'll be keeping the AT's for any lengthy road trips.
Dave

SW

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Tyres (again)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 16:57:56 »
dont worry,ur crew cab with grizzlys is nothing compared to my 90 soft top V8 coming home from drumclog,its got sats,blowing exhaust  & panell gaps to fit the QE2 through,just slightly noisey is nowhere near,i dnt do long journeys now  :cry:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal