AuthorTopic: Steering (Continued)  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Garth

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering (Continued)
« on: January 05, 2005, 23:49:57 »
Winne (as it is now called) is coming on well.  

Regarding steering clatter on last post jacked up last weekend and checked ALL steering joints and all appear to be OK (ie no play) I have approx 10 -15 mm play on steering wheel.  The only thing I have not don e is remove damper to check it so thats the next job.

When I got Winne the previous owner gave me 2 new swivel hub seals as the old ones were leaking badly.  Fitted new ones by cutting and fitting with join at the top and refilled hub with "one shot" appears to be OK so far.  Its MUCH easier to refill with steering turned full lock.  

One thing I have found is when checking lock stops the bolts are both set correctly to the manual but on full RH lock the steering wheel stops before the bolt head hits the hub housing and there is not anything apparent that stops the steering.  Anyone any ideas.

Happy New Year To All

Garth
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Steering (Continued)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 01:06:29 »
Yes, check the length of the drag link.  In order to get around the normal vagueness of the steering at dead-centre some people stretch the drag link so as to effectively move the play to another point of the steering wheel, do you follow?
Anyway the upshot is that the steering box runs out of lock before the lock stops come into play (the manual says this can damage the steering box!).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal