AuthorTopic: WRANGLER  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Oz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Guildford
  • Referrals: 0
WRANGLER
« on: September 22, 2007, 17:42:20 »
Hay guys im thinking of getting a WRANGLER so this is my first time on this part of the forum being a landy owner .. Dont really no much about them so this is mainly a load of questions. Is the much diffrence through the years?  2.5l 4.0l is there much diffrence with car its self. How are they off the road and how easy to get mods for? Oh and how are they on water being petrol?

what kind of price's?

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 18:06:11 »
Firstly are you talking TJ (round headlights) or YJ (sqare headlights)?

For the difference in fuel consumption you'd be best off going for a 4l

Mods there's a few over here but sourcing parts from the US is easy and not as expensive as you may think... :lol:

If you do water then a snorkle is essential :wink:

As for off road competence....they are brilliant, and on and off road great fun to drive :lol:
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline Oz

Attack Member
    • Guildford
WRANGLER
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 18:14:56 »
i dont really know much about them at all whats the def. what kind of suspension do they have? with the water bit i ment the engine its self eg: electrics etc soz

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 18:33:25 »
I drive a 4L TJ (post 97/98 with round headlights) wrangler without a snorkle. Bought it with a 2" OME lift and 29's, fitted 31's without any difficulties except the gearing was a little high (5th gear was used less)

Now, depending what you want to do with it....

Air intake is fairly high up in the engine bay, snorkels are easy to fit if required. elecs seem to be well protected from water and I have never had her die in the water. Another reccomendation is a kenlowe type fan if you are going to play in muddy water a lot as the air intake is inline with the fan splash, never caused any obvious issues, but I did used to have to wash out the filter houseing to get rid of the mud residue after playing.

Most parts are available over here from the like of Lighthouse Jeep, or if you are loaded then there are places that advertise in the glossy mags. Cheaper is to order from the likes of Quadratech and 4wd in the states (lots of other companies as well, often cheaper than them) and get the parts shipped over, this is almost always cheaper than buying over here so long as you remember the bits bought are for LHD vehicles, ie. for the lift I bought (now 3.5") I had to have a track bar bracket made to fit.

After 4years+ of playing, the only bits I have HAD to replace have been:
Battery (fitted an Optima Starter Yellow top)
Rear exhaust (slid back into a bank)
front Wheel Bearings
U/J's (they go, fitted Greasable ones, but in hindsight, would only fit greasable ones where you can get to them. I have to drop the transfer case cover and the rear prop to fully grease mine up now, when they go, they'll be replaced with non greasable "Spicer" ones.
VC Fan, replaced with a Kenlowe due to the clutch not engaging on the VC anymore. was cheaper to fit a kenlowe than buy a new VC Fan.
Clutch (was gritty from when I got it, but during the return from the Mac Challenge the release bearing gave up. replaced the whole clutch while it was apart)

I have a rear disk brake conversion, Wranglers (unless you go for the new ones) have drum rear brakes and they stop working within 50yds of mud :) (well, it felt like it)
The rest has been extras that I have wanted to fit, and there are a few of them !

TJs come with a Dana 44 Axle on the rear which is very strong and have a factory LSD fitted as standard.

a 2.5 will not save you a lot of MPG, but you will loose a lot of the power (especially if going to 31's on factory gearing) but some people swear by the 2.5 if you re-gear it.

There's loads of info you can get from the likes of:
www.rockznrutz.com
www.j33p.com
www.jeepclub.com (Good FAQ section on the different Wranglers)

EE

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 18:35:45 »
Quote from: "Oz"
roundhead light. what kind of suspension do they have? with the water bit i ment the engine its self eg: electrics etc soz

They're coil sprung front and rear with Dana 30 front axle and Dana 44 rear. unless it's a CJ (Daisy Duke era)

See above re-electrics... no probs for me.

Offline Oz

Attack Member
    • Guildford
WRANGLER
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 19:10:27 »
What year did they stop have leafs and strart having coils.

Also what king mpg from 4.0 and 2.5
soz for all the questions

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 20:00:37 »
The YJ (Pre97) has leafs, the TJ (Post 97) has coils. There are a few 97 YJs about though.

I get ~16 - 20 mpg out of mine, but can get it a LOT lower too ;) you don't buy one for economy! Bear in mind I'm running 33s with a regear, heavy bumpers and sidesteps plus winch, tank guard etc. I think the factory fugures are ~25mpg if you don't mess with it.

Offline Oz

Attack Member
    • Guildford
WRANGLER
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 20:01:51 »
ok kewl cheers guys sounds good

Offline greenshed

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 23:23:28 »
Wranglers are all good from what i have seen.  I have a cherry my self and it works well. for any useful info on jeeps try. www.j33p.org or www.birtydastardsjeepclub.com. the others are next to useless for tech from what i can see.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 23:30:02 »
Excellent discription Ed

Get 17-19mpg from my TJ FWIW

Offline UKJeeper

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 01:33:21 »
Being in Guildford, you have the luck to be 15 mins down the road from Chris Bashell at Surrey Off Road.

Alfold Road  Dunsfold  Surrey  GU8 4NP
United Kingdom
Tel. +44 (0)1483 200046

He has a Jeep garage, and his brother has a Landy garage next to each other. I'd suggest to you go talk to Chris. He will try and give a basic education in Jeeps and you can compare the two brands next to each other.

Also on November 17th, Jeepclub are having a day at Slindon. I'm sure someone could be persuaded to get you in and you can see the different models there

http://www.jeepclub.co.uk/event.cfm?e=504

Some other, helpful links for you:

http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq.html

http://reviews.ebay.com/Jeep-YJ-and-TJ-Differences_W0QQugidZ10000000002104652

http://www.jpmagazine.com/thehistoryof/154_0701_jeep_wrangler_yj/

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0706_top_jeep_wrangler_tj/index.html

Really good one here that includes the new JK model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler

Happy reading!

Offline UKJeeper

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 01:35:38 »
Quote from: "EvilEd"
There are a few 97 YJs about though.

:shock: DO what???  :?:

Offline Oz

Attack Member
    • Guildford
WRANGLER
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 09:45:22 »
Cheers guys been really helpful

Offline Legionnaire

Attack Member
Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:09 »
If I get a good deal on the car I am looking to buy today I will have one to sell, its an absolute cracker and I would be loath to part with it bit I can only accomodate so many cars.

Andrew
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD,  Lightweight Landrover

Offline JasonW

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 18:21:36 »
Can anyone answer this question or point the finger as to likely causes?

"The Wrangler is the later model TJ with the later (coil over) suspension set-up, it goes well and feel it would be a bit of a laugh over there.

Problem is it has one hideous flaw. In the wet even at very low speeds it locks up under braking no matter how gentle you are with it.

It has top quality new tyres all around and is in great shape but this problem is something I've simply never experienced on any other vehicle.

Don't particularly fancy being in the centre of a small town with its steep gradiant and having to brake with any more than a tickle on the pedal."

Bloke I know has one on another forum. Reckons he'll get lynched by Rangie owners if he posts on Mud Club!

:D

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 23:09:10 »
There really isn't enough info to offer a constructive comment....TJ Wranglers (the ones with coil suspension) have decent brakes..the guy is either not used to using a brake pedal or more information is needed.................................

Offline greenshed

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 18:21:11 »
Hi Jason w. You may find that the jeep is only locking up one front wheel. This is caused by either a sticking caliper or a knackered flexy brake hose.

Offline JasonW

Attack Member
WRANGLER
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 18:22:19 »
Useful tip. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal