AuthorTopic: 88..... I want more!  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
88..... I want more!
« on: September 21, 2007, 19:50:47 »
I think my thermostate is not working properly and befor I get a new one (after testing the old one) can anyone tell me if you can get a "winter" thermostate? I will be doing a trip to Norway.... one day! in january and have allways planed to try and get a thermostate that opens a a higher temp. Land rover says it should open at 88 degrees I was thinking of geting one that opens around 91-95 something like that, to enable better heating in the -30 temp. in norwigen witers.
If you can is there anything you need to worry about with running at a higher temp?

Thanks all

Jonny

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
88..... I want more!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 22:57:27 »
Are you really going to notice a 3 degree rise in engine temp?  :?
Why not stick with original thermostat & replace viscous fan with an electric one...so it allows the engine to warm quicker, not hotter.
I would recommend an engine pre heater & cabin heater if you are really going to -30degree climate.
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
88..... I want more!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 12:42:59 »
I've heard of winter 'stats on older Fords before now but havn't seen one in years.  Perhaps your local motor factor would let you look through his catalogues.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
88..... I want more!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 22:24:01 »
Its a good point..... about feeling the rise in temp, maybe Ill just stick with genuine,

Thanks all

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
88..... I want more!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 14:14:23 »
You do notice a difference, especially as in a smaller engine the extra few degrees means in a cold climate the heater gets all the hot water and the rad stays cool.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
winter stat
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 19:32:54 »
A hotter engine will run better, and burn more of the gum and other nasty stuff out of the oil. 92/95 is fine as a pressurised engine will not boil until way over normal boiling point.
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
88..... I want more!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 17:39:13 »
Well I found one! After asking around I final found a local car parts shop with a guy in there who actually took a bit of pride in what he did. He got out all his diffrent suplyers catalogs and started going through them. He eventualy found one by finding the replacement termostate for the range rover which opened at 88 and then finding one with the same measurments that opened at 92.

It was the same apart from it did not have the little valve that you place at the top when fitting a genuine replacement thermostate (to prevent air locks I think) instead it had a small hole.

Now the big question...... did it make any differance....... well...... the temp gauge still sits in the same posision, but the heater does seem to be hotter. I know 4 degrees does not seem to be very much but try this little test for yourselv's but a thermometre under water running at 58 degees then increase it to 62... at 58 you can just about get your hand under it at 62 its too hot! I allso tested the termostate befor fitting it and found it was more like 96 when it started to open giving quite a bit more heat. My final test was carried out while we have had this cold weather. after driveing for about 30 mins the hot air coming out of the dash vents (soft dash Range Rover) got too hot to hold your hand over! Perfect!

If any one want one of these thermostates let me know and ill find the code and make for you

Merry christmas

Jonny

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
88..... I want more!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 13:19:29 »
Well I'd like to know for one, so if you don't mind....

Just be careful about that little peice of metal, in some engines they are more important than you'd realise.

ben_haynes

88..... I want more!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 14:30:55 »
just a quick note for you al VW fit a "Duel Opening" one looks similar size to ones i have fitted to my landys

if you dont understand "Duel Opening" it means the T'stat opens at 88 a small way to allow a small amount of hot water in to the Rad this allowing the whole system to warm up quickly and then fully opening around 95

i was going to see about this but i dont need it in the rangie as it gets hot enough for me

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
88..... I want more!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 15:09:27 »
When I got one for my Rangie, they offered an 82 or an 88.... I went 88 of course, can't think you you would want to run at 82....... although I know a lot of racing engines run with very cool thermostats as cooler = less intake charge warming = more power as the air is denser.......

Not that that matters with a thumping great V8 in the front ;)
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal