AuthorTopic: removal of warm air intake  (Read 4812 times)

Offline MUSKIE

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
removal of warm air intake
« on: January 03, 2005, 17:07:51 »
3.5 v8 carb rangie 1985, i want to remove the warm air intake from the airfilter box to fit a snorkel, what effect will this have on the engines running and performance, also what do i connect the 2 small pipes to if i remove :?

can i then remove the 12" grey steel tube from the exhaust manifold situated on the left hand bank as you look into engine bay.

cheers.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 17:14:07 »
I think that pipe will be to help the engine warm up more quickly, sometimes you may find a wax thermostat operates a flap to keep the air at a more constant temperature.
The main effect wil probably be it takes a little longer to warm up and perhaps runs a little rougher in extreme cold weather.
I think the 2 small pipes are vacuum hoses to operate the flap, trace them back to their root and block them off.
The pipe from the exhaust manifold would then be redundant so I think you could remove it, but only if it's in the way.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 18:13:07 »
throw it away,on the 90 it had the same setup & it was drawing air in there instead of through the filter & the whole of the inlet system was full o crap as it had been effectively running unfiltered,replaced all the gubbinw with a piece o wire reinforced hose,goes better now,less restrictiion
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal