AuthorTopic: range rover classic- bad vibrations!  (Read 1001 times)

Offline woz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • walsall
  • Referrals: 0
range rover classic- bad vibrations!
« on: September 10, 2007, 21:29:24 »
Hi again, still new to this! I have a 3.9 auto rangie, recently I changed both the cv joints and the half shaft on the drivers side. The operation seems a complete success, until going down the motorway yesterday. When cruising along with foot slightly on the gas, no vibrations. But when I take my foot of the gas to gradually slow down the steering wheel and the whole thing vibrates.When I apply the gas again the vibrations dissappear. Any ideas? (This occurred on the way back from a good days off roading with no problems at all) Any thoughts would be gratefully noted. Cheers

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 21:54:57 »
Sounds more like prop joints, but check the viscous unit in the transfer box as that can seize and cause all sorts of issues with drive shafts etc. I have just had to change the prop and all the axle innards on daughters Rangie as the viscous unit had seized up. This had taken out a cv and the gearbox end prop joint.

Jack one front wheel up with boxes in neutral and try to turn the wheel either with the wheel brace on the wheel nuts or by turning the wheel. You should be able to turn it, but only with some force.
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline woz

Attack Member
    • walsall
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 17:28:41 »
Many thanks for the reply, will try that, i'll let you know. Cheers Woz

Offline onslow

Attack Member
Re: range rover classic- bad vibrations!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 17:06:45 »
Quote from: "woz"
Hi again, still new to this! I have a 3.9 auto rangie, recently I changed both the cv joints and the half shaft on the drivers side. The operation seems a complete success, until going down the motorway yesterday. When cruising along with foot slightly on the gas, no vibrations. But when I take my foot of the gas to gradually slow down the steering wheel and the whole thing vibrates.When I apply the gas again the vibrations dissappear. Any ideas? (This occurred on the way back from a good days off roading with no problems at all) Any thoughts would be gratefully noted. Cheers

Check condition of panhard rod bushes

Offline woz

Attack Member
    • walsall
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 16:30:21 »
Thanks for the advice, jacked up the rangie as you said, the wheel turns but with some effort. Cheers onslow, checked the bushes everything seems to be ok. Gonna have a good look at the weekend see if anything is loose. Cheers

Offline Happe

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 14:32:30 »
Hi,

just a shot in the dark but if it is an auto, check the flimsy plate between torque converter and Flywheel.
While taking my car appart I found lose screws and in the mean time I read about a few situations where the plate broke because of lose screws. This can be the source for strange vibrations.

you can reach and check by removing the little inspection cover on the lower bell housing

cheers

Stefan
1990 RRC 3.9EFI Auto to Tomcat conversion(current Project)
1998 KTM Rally 660 Blue/Orange
1998 Ford Transit SWB Semi High
1998 KTM 640E - Baja Conversion (current Project)
http://www.stefanhappe.co.uk/gallerys/Landi/Rangie/LandRoverStart.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal