AuthorTopic: Just done my first fix on my Series 3  (Read 724 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Just done my first fix on my Series 3
« on: September 09, 2007, 21:06:52 »
OK, its nothing spectacular and the first of a very long list of my rolling (Hopefully restoration).

The brake lights diddnt work when I picked it up and although the temp and petrol gauge started working on the way home it also packed up when the I stopped at some lights.

I checked the bulbs, also also had a quick look at some slightly dodgy wiring where the non standard rear lights (modified body) are fitted.

However as any experienced series 3 owner knows the Temp/Petrol gauge and brake lights share the same fuse.... but the fuse was fine?  However as I knew that the temp gauge had worked I assumed it was a wonky contact.  Lo and behold some tapping and wiggling of the fuse holder (removed from dash as Im well aware of the risks of fiddling with loose wires, especially on frequently bodged Landys e.g. mine had a different sccrew on for every fixing of the ignition cowel) and the guages and lights worked.  So I removed the fuse box, blasted it witch contact cleaner, scrubbed it and scraped the contacts.  I let it dry off as contact cleaner is rather flammable, stuck it all back together and now it all works nicely. Also as a bonus the charge light now seems to be more stable (it did come on and off wilily nilly).  And to cap it all a damn good tug on the transfer lever finally freed it up, so I did a victory Lap of the field to test the low ratio.

All in all a good afternoons tinkering!

(shame the plumbing i did next was not as successfully!)

Only another 587 jobs to go.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 21:13:15 »
reply ing myslef now.

Just noticed hobbits comments in the wiring thread, basically same problem as me. And Im also watching lorg of the rings so thats a double coincidence.  Just shows to read the manual and check the web  before you get dirty.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline The Landy Guy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:58:51 »
true
Series Rule!!!!

1970 Series 2A SWB(89-inch) Truck Cab

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal