AuthorTopic: My new V8 rangie  (Read 1130 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
My new V8 rangie
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:59:51 »
My new vogue !

Always had pajero before, Wife still got that but this is MINE !  :lol:  Look's as tho I could do with some advice on welding tho  :roll:  I'm going to get a mig but have never welded before so any advice greatly apreciated  :D

CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
My new V8 rangie
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 13:07:13 »
Looks nice, shame you aren't closer or I'd teach you to weld.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline rangyholic

Attack Member
welding
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 18:16:33 »
Barriesheen.....
 Looks like a very pretty rangy there mate. As for welding with a mig, couldn't be easier.....get yourself some scrap metal (preferably old car panels) and practise setting up the machine (power and wire speed). when you are happy that they are set up to your personal taste, just keep playing around with the scrap panels........bingo, you're now ready to repair the rangy......hth Jamie :D

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
My new V8 rangie
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 11:56:12 »
Thanks guys i'll let you know how i get on  :P
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline big rob

Attack Member
My new V8 rangie
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 20:04:53 »
When ever you strike the arc (weld) make sure your eyes are covered by the eye shield,
ARC EYE is not nice!!!!!
Rob
87 efi rangie special cam, 2" lift,
No sense, No feeling, No brain, so thats why I got stuck!

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
My new V8 rangie
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 21:44:32 »
First thing is to put the kettle on  8)
Stand back and have a good look at the job and see where the rot ends and the sound metal begins, then start cutting  :wink:
When half the floor is missing and you feel like cutting your wrists you are ready for repair panels  :D
By now your tea has gone cold and is full of rust and chunks of rubbish  :roll:  time for another  :wink:
Make sure you have cut all the rust out and cleaned off all underseal as it will not weld rust and waxoil is flammable  :roll:
Remember your gloves, overalls and mask (us welders dont wear them cos we ugly) arc eye hurts, the best way to describe is it is like someone pouring burning ashes in your eyes, then in the morning it feels like superglue has been poured in and you need to peel them open.
Oh now you need to weld it  :roll:
Have a search on the net and find some pics that show good and bad welds and give hints on setting power and wire feed.
Basically if you burn holes turn power down, if it sits on top of the metal turn it up.... if the wire burns back to the tip, turn it up. If it spit and spatters turn it down.  With settings correct it should sound like frying bacon and will leave the fresh metal with a 'blue' from the heat
If you can, go to a small sheet metal workshop and ask for some scraps to practice, take a couple of quid for their tea fund and they are usually very helpfull  :wink:

Hope this helps, (my welding is better than my explaining)

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
My new V8 rangie
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 00:28:17 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: CHEER'S STEVE !  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline Jesska

Attack Member
My new V8 rangie
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 07:48:22 »
He's missed out the most important bit...

Turn off your phone, if there is anyone else in ur house (wife/gf/kids etc) get them to go out, whatever any one says it will be wrong. When you come in and say 'what do you think' they will obviously be encouraging and say 'I think it looks good' you will then think they are lying and taking the wee and then all the fun starts...  :D

Apart from that he's spot on, he's very good  :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal