AuthorTopic: 24V winch on 12V system  (Read 4114 times)

Offline The Smiths

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
24V winch on 12V system
« on: September 06, 2007, 00:48:31 »
I have an opportunity to get a 24V winch for a good price :) .

What is the best way of upping my 12V battery to use it :? .
If you always do what you have always done.
You will always get what you have always had.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:18:27 »
Two batteries in series. Will be a pain to charge as you'll need to switch between parralell, split charge to series connected to use it.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:37 »
Or you could turn the whole truck over to 24v with a new alternator and replace all bulbs and lots more.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:31:43 »
or fit a 12v motor for much cheapness
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline The Smiths

Attack Member
24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:18:20 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
Two batteries in series. Will be a pain to charge as you'll need to switch between parralell, split charge to series connected to use it.

Auto electrics are not really my thing - have scared myself in the past, a long time ago, melted wires solenoids etc :shock: . But can wire houses, 2 way lighting not a problem.

In simplistic terms would the following work (or what would):

Standard battery as is (negative ground all positive connections as is)

Second battery positive to winch. Negative is connected to positive of first battery (putting a switch in so that they are not permanently connected)

A split charger system to charge the second battery.
Winch negative to first battery.

So it is a twin battery system, twin charging at 12 volts. Throw switch and winch gets 24 volts  

But throw switch and what would I fry with that setup :? ?

It seems over simplistic - so it must be wrong.
If you always do what you have always done.
You will always get what you have always had.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:49:18 »
You can't use a split charge that's designed for batteries in parallel to charge batteries in series.

For simplicity I'd echo what Mike said, fit a 12Volt motor and put the 24 volt one on flea-bay.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:53:03 »
I have a 24v system fitted in my disco, for a cab heating system, a couple of leasure batterys and a switch charger which inputs 12v and steps it up to 24v output, at about 10-12a

You can buy stronger ones too they are switched in from the alternator, and do not overcharge the 24v system

The other use is to re-charge my wife's electric runabout which also inputs 24v

But....these chargers are meant to charge over a time, the down side for your usage is that you could drain down the 24v system, and would have to wait for them to recharge again before using the winch again
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Wolfie

24V winch on 12V system
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 13:10:27 »
The other option would be a 24v alternator and battery bank, separate from the existing electrical system and dedicated to the winch.

If my limited experienbce is correct, you will need to be running the engine to do any significant winching as the batteries will have limited capacity.

One thing you haven't told us is what you are intending to use the winch for.

If you are intending to get into serious winching in challenges then the advantages of the 24v motor might justify the expense of a 24v electical supply, if it's just going to be there for occasional use then a 12v motor might well end up as the most economical option.

Also, what winch is it? That will have some bearing on the availability of a 12v motor, could well be that there are loads of suitable motors knocking about if it's of a type that is popular in challenges and people have upgraded their motors which seems common.

Finally, do you really need a winch? I have used mine a total of 3 times in the 3+ years I have had it, but I'm happy to admit that it wasa only bought as an accessory to make the ARB bumper look right. If you're not planning on getting stuck, a Hi-Lift and shortening chains is a perfectly accepable alternative if things do go wrong, and is more flexible than a winch attached to the front of the car.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal