AuthorTopic: Knob question  (Read 741 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Knob question
« on: September 05, 2007, 23:30:51 »
No Sniggering!

And no I dont mean the 4wd and transfer box knobs....

I have 4(or is it 5) black push/pull knobs on the dash just to the right of the radio area but not on the main instrument pannel on my Series 3 I just bought. They light up when pulled, but they dont seem to do anything,  I know they are not the dash lights, fan, side, head or main beam, so what are they! They are quite a tidy install so don't immediately look like after market lights etc.

I cant see anything in the Haynes manual, I cant find any series3 dash pictures on the net with them on. Any Ideas.  My car used to be a tow truck so they could be related to that (its got holes in the roof for flashing lights/work lights etc)

Also what are the best manuals, Haynes is "ok" but I allways like a second source.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Knob question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 01:06:09 »
Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head there, you need to track the wires on the output side to see where they go, they are obviously extra feeds for something

See if you have any extra fuses secreted away somewhere too
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
  • Motorsport Service & Repair Level 3 Technician
    • @MrSmeeZus
Knob question
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 17:54:23 »
have to agree with above.

Offline S188

Attack Member
Knob question
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 00:56:35 »
Loads of old landys have extra switches long since defunct, the only thing to do is trace where the wires go.  Its worth doing as some people don't always add extra electrics in a clever way.

Someone asked me the other day what the extra switch pannel in my landy did, I paused for a moment before realising everything that pannel once did has since been removed or broke so it was completely useless!  How did that happen?

For manuals nothing beats the proper Rover workshop manuals.  In book form they can be bought from many famous parts places, probubyl around £30-40 quid, the parts book is also worth getting too (your landy in exploded drawings!).  You soon earn the money back by fixing something else or not breaking something by dismantleing it wrong, something the Haynes book of lies is sometimes good at directing you to).  If you want a PDF version then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding the series 3 workshop manual in internet land;  Don't but PDF's off ebay, they aren't worth that much.  Doesn't beat the real thing though, greasy fingers in that doesn't wreck your computer!
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal