AuthorTopic: rear floor pan  (Read 344 times)

Offline landandy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Beccles Suffolk
  • Referrals: 0
rear floor pan
« on: September 05, 2007, 18:24:09 »
Hi all has any one done a rear floor pan on a 300 tdi if so any advice thanks.

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
rear floor pan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 18:44:22 »
yes I have done one

tips leave yourself a weekend to do it comfortably.

i left the tank in but the choice is up to you. i did try the drill out the spot welds with a spot web drill bit but blunted a few drill bits and there was that many that i went for the grinder instead :!:
What we did was work out where the ridged and non ridged floor pan cross members and then mark them up. then grind out the floor but keep the cut about 1" from the edge of the floor pan. with the edge at the top of the floor pan under the seats we used a dremmel as it was less agressive and we were concerned about what was under it - if you remember LROi they cut through the brake cable when they did there's. later on we then used a cold chisel to get git of the left over floor pan.

you'll probably find the floor does a bendy thingy when it comes out due to where it rusts over the ridged floor cross members.

There is a picture in my 'my space' link that shows the floor pan out.

whilst its out, chuck a bit of light purpose oil down onto the A frame ball joint, pressure wash all the smeg off the underside that you can now see and hammerite everything

we welded the boot back in with a seam weld all the way around and rivited the floor to the cross members.

think that about all  8)
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
rear floor pan
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 22:06:52 »
i left the tank in too, but boy watch them welds on the back edge and member. when or iff you drill these out the tank sits well close. alan.....

Offline mroxo

Attack Member
    • Bedford
  • Referrals: 1
Boot floor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 23:34:02 »
Ive done 5 now with a spot weld cutter (not a drill bit) as long as the edges are ok you can do it in an 8 hour day. Leave overnight for sealer to dry and pop it all back together. The spot weld cutters are really the best thing to use as they are a hole cutter rather than a drill bit and make the jobs so much quicker.I am so confident that i would do your floor for £250 all in! (done 3 for my former local independant landy guy)
Any probs or worries then give me a shout.
I love to get my landy down and dirty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal