AuthorTopic: austin champ  (Read 3167 times)

Offline chimo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
austin champ
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:17:02 »
hi guys and gals i have just ben offered an austin champ for a good price is this any good for using as an offroader as i can find little snippets of info on the net i know of its use in various conflicts and that they are totally waterproof but what else can you tell me
cheers people :D  :D
diff guards front and rear
steering guard
home made snorkel
grizzly claws

Offline Pete

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
austin champ
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 17:33:32 »
They are great off road, and were far better than the Land Rovers that replaced them.  M O D were cost cutting even then.
 Main problems could be parts, they aren't cheap, and if you are fortunate enough to find one with the RR engine, rather than the one built under licence by Austin, seals etc would be a pig to locate.
 It's also worth noteing that they can make a Range Rover look frugal when it comes to fuel consumption.

Has the one you have been offered benn converted to unleaded fuel? If yes, make sure that it's a genuine conversion. People have been known to lie to make a sale.  The only one I know of on the road local to me, hasn't, owner has to travel to Swillington to buy four star, and it isn't cheap.

All in all a great motor, but not one that you would want to break too often, running costs of the genuine article will be high.

Pete.

Offline wilton84

Attack Member
austin champ
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 17:42:01 »
one of the best ppl to ask about that would be big ant i know his dad has had a fare colection of them and knows all the problems that can go wrong with them he say the that there as capable if not better off road as a landrover but yeah i would ask him about it
if its broke...

...put a bigger engin in it!

protected by mr spuk devil duck leave him were he is scotty

Offline bigant

Attack Member
  • hmm whats this then...
austin champ
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 19:29:31 »
yes my dear daddy :P had 14 at one point kinda collected them lol any probs am sure he will be happy to help :) just pm/poke me on here about it :)
And the Leaf spring shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a thousand thousand fold. The din of a million Series like unto a great storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of the Coil shall tremble - ollr 15:4

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
austin champ
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 22:53:43 »
They go as fast in reverse as they do forwards too!!!
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline wilton84

Attack Member
austin champ
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:33:06 »
Quote from: "Iain C"
They go as fast in reverse as they do forwards too!!!

and there not from italy how strange is that :P
if its broke...

...put a bigger engin in it!

protected by mr spuk devil duck leave him were he is scotty

Offline graham

Attack Member
austin champ
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 23:41:38 »
I saw one parked on a drive in Morecambe the other day don't know if it was a runner.
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline baniradley

Attack Member
Re: austin champ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 23:32:29 »
Great thing about the Champ was its seperate gear lever for forward/reverse. if you got stuck in the mud you could by quickly switching from forwards to reverse get a rocking pendulum motion going, this would increase with each switch until you built up enough momentum to get out, try doing that in a Land Rover !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal