AuthorTopic: EGR Heat exchanger removal  (Read 387 times)

Offline africanpete

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
EGR Heat exchanger removal
« on: September 02, 2007, 19:06:28 »
Okay, so finally fitted a full egr removal kit and just taken it for a quick drive it seems to have made a positive difference, all good.

Mine is an 03 engine which is fitted with a heat exchanger, is this neccessary now as there is no more heat from the exhaust passing through it?  Can it be removed?

Also can caps/plugs be bought to block off vacum chamber so that the two vacum pipes can be removed, no point having them cluttering an already cluttered engine bay!

Cheers
Pete

Offline gimpy

Attack Member
heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 13:33:33 »
If it is an 03 MY engine then the silver bit bolted to the head id the gas cooler from exhaust to inlet.  
The two piles that go to that are water pipes that run up to the header tank as it is water cooled.
You can blank them off anywhere but on mine I did it about 23 inches from header tank to reduce clutter in bay
Rough & ready 2001 Disco 2
4" lift with 235/85/16 Insa turbo
Steel rear bumper, rock sliders. Winch bumper with winch & A bar & lights, Safari snorkel
Steering, front & rear diff guards
Genuine G4 roof rack with warn lights

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
EGR Heat exchanger removal
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:54:59 »
I took all the EGR gubbins out - but left the cooler in place, still plumbed in to the cooling system. The replacement kit I used came from D44, and included a plate to block off the hole in the manifold, and a nice lump of billet ali to replace the (really gummed up) EGR valve.
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal