AuthorTopic: Securing a wireless network  (Read 340 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Securing a wireless network
« on: September 01, 2007, 20:47:52 »
Hey all,
Thought i would ask for some advice, i've just bought a new laptop with vista. I connected it up to my network which vista said wasnt secure. How do i put a password on this network or does it not need one? i've got three computers on this wirelessly and one cabled to the router. Which one would i create the key on? atm i just turn the computer on and hope they connect never bothering about security keys and stuff.
Anyone advise me?
Cheers
Sam

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 20:53:06 »
Go to the set up page for your router and find the security settings section and set it up from there. You will need to put the security key that the router gives you into each computer on your network

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 20:53:27 »
Go onto the PC that is cabled to the router.

Access the router settings something like 192.168.1.1

Go into the security settings and there should be something along the lines of setting up WEP or WPA. I used WPA and with that you put in a sequence of numbers and letters (the more random the better) And then you can save your settings.

Now the wireless connected computers will not work untill you have entered the letters and numbers.

I doubt you'll need to do anything more or drastic like MAC address filtering.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal