AuthorTopic: Who designed the 1.6 8v Carb engine.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Who designed the 1.6 8v Carb engine.
« on: August 30, 2007, 21:34:08 »
Because I want to hunt him down and kill him

How many pipes!?  :evil:

Started stripping the block down to do the head gasket. Any pretence of not doing it went out the window when I removed the exhaust manifold and saw the mess behind, lots of oil and only possible source is no 1 and no 4 cylinder. Valve clearances are out too going by feel, almost 1mm on some.

No gasket on thermostat, lots of liquid gasket on there, camshat oil seal is in 2 bits. Got a bolthole on the manifold -=> downpipe joint with no thread, as I suspected the gasket on the block and downpipe were toast.

Seems daft with it this far apart not to do the head and cambelt anyway.

Anyone have a diagram of the vacuum and fuel system.

Carb looks in really good condition surprisingly.

Anyoyone know how the engine would react to a small rotory supercharger?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 22:06:46 »
It may sound daft but number the pipes when striping it down i've done it with wires etc when doing a head gasket & it made the rebuild a lot faster :D As for the supercharger you would have to decrease the compresion ratio a bit for it to work better, plus a supercharger can take a lot of BHP from the engine to get it going  :roll:
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 22:24:54 »
Quote from: "SWEETY"
It may sound daft but number the pipes when striping it down i've done it with wires etc when doing a head gasket & it made the rebuild a lot faster :D As for the supercharger you would have to decrease the compresion ratio a bit for it to work better, plus a supercharger can take a lot of BHP from the engine to get it going  :roll:

Was an idle thought as I have a Garett T1 kicking about. realised it was about half the size of the engine and then thought about the little roots charger lying around at mum and dads

never mind :)

Will see whats left of the valves tomorrow
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 14:44:43 »
It may well work but i'm no expert. All I can remember is you have to drop the compresion ratio which I have Known to be done by fitting 2 head gaskets. But saying that if you turned down the boost you may get away with it on a standard set up :roll:
I would'nt dismiss it yet as i'm sure someone else may have the answer you need :D
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 17:43:25 »
Quote from: "SWEETY"
It may well work but i'm no expert. All I can remember is you have to drop the compresion ratio which I have Known to be done by fitting 2 head gaskets. But saying that if you turned down the boost you may get away with it on a standard set up :roll:
I would'nt dismiss it yet as i'm sure someone else may have the answer you need :D

There is an SC kit specifically for the vit. But it looks like the Land-ROver I was getting my still happen so I'm just gonna do the head gasket, clutch and cam belt and leave it alone.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal