AuthorTopic: Rear Cross Member  (Read 648 times)

Offline zulublue

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Cross Member
« on: August 23, 2007, 22:07:44 »
I have purchased a replacment crossmember for my 90, I have gone for the extended one, how hard are these to change? does anyone have a step by step guide to doing this please

Mark.

Offline spinkster

Attack Member
Rear Cross Member
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 22:19:55 »
I did this on my 90 before i sold it.........fairly easy job as long as you have some common sense.......its a complete cow to weld the top of it though............the best tip i can give you is measure twice, cut once.............or even better cut off the old one with the 9" spark maker (grinder) then trim back and try fitting the new one up....and keep trimming back until everything fits nice......and before you start welding anything put the tub bolts in and tighten!!!..............oh and not sure with yours but some (i believe) have the rear electrics running up inside the chassis....so you may need to remove these before hand
Its only kinky the first time

spinks

1988 110csw 200tdi retro fitted

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Rear Cross Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 22:24:40 »
They are quite easy to replace...just don't rush doing it...chop only as much as is needed to fit the new X-member.
Main thing is to ensure your wiring loom is well out of the way of grinder & welder.
I cut the wiring loom on my 110 & extended it a little with new cable.  If you do this make sure you use adhesive heatshrink or marine grade waterproof connectors, not cheapy automotive ones, when rejoining...otherwise you will end up with wiring faults after the winter has got into the connections  :roll:
After you cut the old X-member off give the chassis internals a good clean & waxoyl...do the outside after!

Enjoy...sounds like a good bank holiday job  :D
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Ridgeback

Attack Member
    • Northampton
Rear Cross Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 15:03:33 »
I have welded lots of cars in the past ( and Landrovers) I am a fab/coded welded so that helps. Its not rocket science but you will need to take your time to get a good job. As someone else has said, make lots of small cuts and keep doing this till it is a good fit.
On the welding side, make sure you get it all as clean as you can. It sometimes helps to tack small lugs to the box section when joining because it will help line them up.
When your ready to fully weld after tacking it all in place, try and weld from the bottom up and not top down. This will give a much stronger weld.

If your not sure or need any other info/advice on this PM me and I dont mind giving you my number to talk it through.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal