AuthorTopic: Lubricating leaf springs  (Read 6816 times)

Offline harryhedgehog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Lubricating leaf springs
« on: August 22, 2007, 22:47:07 »
Hi, can anyone advise on the best method of lubricating series leaf springs?
1983 SWB 2.25 Petrol S3 Truck Cab

Leaf-Sprung Land-Rover Forum    Land Rover S3C Forum

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 22:55:26 »
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 23:52:38 »
Yeah.... don't ;)
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 00:37:44 »
Might i enquire as to why not?

:?
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

AbyssDJ

Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:08:49 »
soak em in engine oil, wrap em in a rag :)

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:59 »
If you oil thesprings, you lose a lot of the natural damping effect of the leaves rubbing together -this is designed in, and the damper rates were designed alongside this effect.

If you oil the springs, you remove this damping effect, making your dampers work harder, and there wear out faster.

With oil on the springs, you will most likely attract more dirt and grit which will get lodged between the leaves, which will slowly abrade the springs away -they may not rust, but now friction is your enemy.

Oiling them will make a softer ride, but on the set I recently put on my SIII lightweight I have left them dry, for exactly these reasons.

It's up to you, long life, or *slightly* firmer suspension.

HTH,

Bowie.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 13:20:01 »
Quote from: "Bowie"
If you oil thesprings, you lose a lot of the natural damping effect of the leaves rubbing together -this is designed in, and the damper rates were designed alongside this effect.

If you oil the springs, you remove this damping effect, making your dampers work harder, and there wear out faster.

With oil on the springs, you will most likely attract more dirt and grit which will get lodged between the leaves, which will slowly abrade the springs away -they may not rust, but now friction is your enemy.

Oiling them will make a softer ride, but on the set I recently put on my SIII lightweight I have left them dry, for exactly these reasons.

It's up to you, long life, or *slightly* firmer suspension.

HTH,

Bowie.

Never had a landy but have had plenty of leaf sprung vehicles over the years and worked on even more. Manufacturers usually spec that leaves should be lubed so someone should check a proper landrover manual to see wether they should be done or not. However you should only oil leaf springs that do not have the small plastic pads on the tips of the leaves, this type use the plastic as a slider so don't need oiling, not having owned a landy I don't know what type they have.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 13:34:37 »
The old method we used to use was 50/50 petrol diesel mix and paint it into the springs
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline khaki lover

Attack Member
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 21:01:13 »
As Rowan said
painted em in old engine oil... helped no end with flexion.

I read somewhere about putting ???paper??? between the springs????   not sure about this might be making it up. Think it was on S2C forum once.
I like it mucky!
PYGlet..1955 S1 landy

www.ollr.co.uk

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 21:06:56 »
Graphite - in any form you can find that will apply. ISTR you can get it in a sprayable form?
--
Neil

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:24:01 »
Fair enough.

I like having a smoother ride and the added Articulation given.

Each to ones own.

8)
Rowan.

screwy

Lubricating leaf springs
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 13:17:10 »
I have trawked through the Series 2 and 2A, and Series 3 Repair and Ops manuals, Haynes Repair, Haynes Restoration, MoD Series 3 Repair manual, MoD Operation and Service manuals and NONE of them say you shoudl lube the springs in any way shape or form.

However, it is common practice to do so and is really a matter of taste / opinion wether you do. Personally for the record, when I first got Rose, I lubed them with 50:50 mix of fresh engine oil and petrol, the petrol acting as a pentrating fluid wich subsequently vapourises. I would not use old engine oil as it contains contaminates and acids from it previous job of cleaning the engine. Since then they have been covered when I waxoyled the underside which should lube and keep crap out.

In regards to the wear argument, personally I can see the validity but then again two cast steel springs rubbing against each other anyway are likey to have as much friction hence wear than two lightly lubed with grit stuck in them... :?:

I can also agree with the opinion regarding the natural damping effect from dry springs, again it really comes down to individual choice in the end.

:?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal