AuthorTopic: A cycle question...  (Read 1458 times)

Offline thermidorthelobster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A cycle question...
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:04:06 »
OK, bear in mind I know next to nothing about bikes.

I've just converted my HP Velotechnik Grasshopper to underseat steering.  The rear cables could now do with shortening.  The rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore.  The shifters are SRAM Attack twistgrip.

As far as I can see, to shorten the gearchange cable, I need to disconnect it at the rear end, remove it from the shifters, cut it, reinstall it and adjust it again at the rear end.  IE the shortening is done at the back, not the front.  Will I need to do anything special to tidy up the end of the cable sheath or do the gubbins on the end of the sheath just slide back on again?

Thanks, David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Terranosaurus

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A cycle question...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:19:37 »
If you need to cut the outer sheath you'll really need proper cutters, they're not expensive most bike shops will have them, you should be able to cut the inner cable with decnt side cutters but proper cable cutters are better. I usually solder the loose end of the cable together which makes feeding it down the sheathing a lot easier or you can get small crimps, again from a bike shop, that go over the end to stop it fraying.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal