AuthorTopic: Ignition and lights crossing, (NOW SORTED)  (Read 987 times)

Offline AndyN

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ignition and lights crossing, (NOW SORTED)
« on: August 18, 2007, 20:43:35 »
I'm going to try and sort my electrical fault out tomorrow, was wondering if anyone has had anything similar with their RRC's before i start ripping the dash out again.

The problem is that the dipped beam headlights (at the front only, both lights, but not sidelights or full beams, just dips) are on permantly, unless i pull the fuses out for them. the rest of the lights are unaffected.

AND

when you put the light switch to the dipped position (again ,not sidelights, dipped only), the ignition comes on and there is power to the windows, sunroof and fuel pump as if done with the key, so if the light switch is in the dipped position , when you try to switch the engine off and take the keys out of the ignition, the car will continue running.

BUT

if you pull the two headlight fuses out, it cuts the power to the lights although the switch still does the same thing with the ignition.
And this has only been doing it since i pulled a small trailer with the towing plug.

I was wondering which swiches may be prone to short in case it is one of those before i take the dash apart again.

any help or ideas would be great or if anyone has seen this before and remembers how they cured it?
 :wink:

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 08:59:07 »
It will be the stork for dip main beam they have a habit of getting hot and melting as they dont have headlight relays. So get a new one and also put some relays in for the dip/mainbeam. easy to do as the wiring is all ready in place so to say.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 14:57:26 »
Good call, i've just pulled the innermost plug for the left stalk out and now the ignition is back to normal and doesnt power up on the headlight switch anymore, so i'll get a new one of them. thanks for the info. pulling the other 2 connections out made no difference to the ignition lights.

However the front headlights are still permanently on, and still sparks when you put the fuses in hopefully if i change the whole set it may cure it.

is it possible the the ignition switch may need replacing too?

Offline forkarm

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:34:23 »
Hiya,I have had this fault before and it was the "dim,dip"relay at fault.This relay lights the headlight bulbs about 20% of their full power when the sidelights are on and the engine is running.When they fail the headlights stay on and can only be extinguished by pulling the fuses.You can just unplug the relay and this should turn off the headlights.
The relay is located to the right of the steering column and is secured by 2 screws.It is about 3" square and is black aluminium with cooling Finns .
You can use the car with the relay left unplugged and the lights will work OK,but the dim dip will not work.
Hope this helps.
 Paul
1991 200 TDI Range Rover.Now sold.
P38. 2.5 diesel.Should be sold.
If only i could turn back time !!.

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 02:04:59 »
Im tempted to have a look at now, but its probably a bit anti-social at this time of night, that sounds about right for what it is doing.

thanks to yourself and gtomo2 for the info and for pointing out where the relays and switches are, got to be better than using a haynes manual anyday!!!

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 21:07:59 »
Quote from: "forkarm"
Hiya,I have had this fault before and it was the "dim,dip"relay at fault.This relay lights the headlight bulbs about 20% of their full power when the sidelights are on and the engine is running.When they fail the headlights stay on and can only be extinguished by pulling the fuses.You can just unplug the relay and this should turn off the headlights.
The relay is located to the right of the steering column and is secured by 2 screws.It is about 3" square and is black aluminium with cooling Finns .
You can use the car with the relay left unplugged and the lights will work OK,but the dim dip will not work.
Hope this helps.
 Paul

Ive just finished and that was exactly right, ive re-connected the stalk and unplugged this relay, now my ignition is working as it should and so are my lights, yippee :D  =D>  :(contented):

Many thanks to you guys, if your near Heathrow anytime, I will gladly buy you a pint.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal