AuthorTopic: Daihatsu slowtrak-Anti Roll Bar?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline mill2020

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Team 60 - Mac 4x4 2011,2012 & 2013
  • Referrals: 0
Daihatsu slowtrak-Anti Roll Bar?
« on: August 16, 2007, 19:02:08 »
After chattin with a fellow offroader i was led to believe if i remove the anti roll bar on my slowtrak it will greatly enhance the off road ability of my little 4x4 and may also improve it's on road ride?

Being the sceptic i am is this the case or is this a load of rubbish?

I don't use the vehicle a great deal, it tends to be mainly play days or green laning, nip to tesco's and transport for the dog. The slowtrak isn't modded really, just MT's and and a little lift?

What should i do?, Thoughts please.

Phil

Offline McGuire

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 19:55:46 »
Removal will allow better articulation at the front, as the wheels will now be free to move without the restrictions imposed by the bar. I don't know what effect that will have on the handling, but, on the Niva, there's practically no difference, until you get right to the limits on a corner, when you can feel a very slight twitch.
 I suppose the answer is to try it (carefully) and see what you think. At your discretion really!
McGuire

Offline frosty

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:21:01 »
i read about doing this to the frontera on an american site and he definatly didnt recomend it, saying it was for off road use only. however like mcguire said its got to be worth a bash! maybe even knock up some sort of quick release method so it can be either on or off?
90..standardish

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:31:54 »
I've disconnected (undid one ball joint on the bottom of the drop link) the rear ARB on my Maverick when going green laning and sometimes left it off for quite a time afterwards on the road. It certainly improves rear end articulation and traction. Even on the road you can tell the difference when pushing hard it doesn't lift and spin inside rear on corners. HOWEVER with mine you really had to alter your driving style and think much more about your driving, can't just throw it in to a corner has to be allowed to settle in otherwise theres an alarming amount of wobble.

I want to try without the front one too, but that will need removing completely as it sits between the wishbones and would bang around fouling them if only disconnected at one end. I'm not using it as much for road work as I used to so it's a viable proposition now. In fact might have a look at it today.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline McGuire

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 21:41:22 »
I wouldn't suggest removing a rear anti-roll bar unless you uprate the springs and shock absorbers at the same time. There's more effect at the rear than the front.
McGuire

Offline mill2020

Attack Member
  • Team 60 - Mac 4x4 2011,2012 & 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 11:41:11 »
Cheers everyone for the input, i'm off to a P&P 2morrow so i will take it off and and see what happens. :(scared):

Offline Lincs niva

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 13:05:42 »
You wont want to put it back on.Took mine off my niva what a diffrence :D

Cheers Gav
Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response
www.yorks-lincs4x4response.org

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal