AuthorTopic: How do I drain my swivels ??  (Read 499 times)

Offline andrew2986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
  • Referrals: 0
How do I drain my swivels ??
« on: August 16, 2007, 18:52:13 »
I think im going mad !
I cannot find the drain plugs for my swivel pins !
Ive checked on the Haynes book, and there not there!
do I just undo some of the little bolts that hold the seal thing in place and let it out that way ??

Please help

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline minty

Attack Member
  • M6NTY
    • Wellingborough
swivhell?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 19:46:18 »
not sure why you would wont to drain them ? if your take'in them off completely dont bother with this.
just down from the filler cap at the front of the swivel you should see a nut (sometime square in shape) undo this, its located about half way down the swivel this will drain out but not completly then reifll remember if its the right hand side o/s wheel turn the wheel that way our it takes forever and a day to do same as when you do left side n/s turn wheel to left hope this helps.
if you take the swivel of completly just undo and remove the fluid will drain by its self dont forget to put your bowl under it from the start its messy trust me

ps if you strip it get all your seals and gaskets first make life much easyer , should have change from £50 for bacon roll and a ice-cream

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 20:27:43 »
Hi thanks for that, I was going to replace the oil with one shot grease, so thought I should drain them off first

Andy

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 13:14:07 »
The drain plug is very samll and a hexaginal head, the square plug halfway up is the filler/level IIRC.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 14:43:20 »
Thanks guys, ive definatly not got a drain plug !!
But Ive done it by just undoing all the bolts around the back of the swivel and gently easing out the rubber seal, On the seals there is a spring band thing (very technical me) that looks like it reinforces the seal to the swivel which on one of the seals is broken, Ive put them all together and filled with 'one shot' but looks like I will have to replace the left hand seal. Is it a pain of a job?
Havnt looked in Haynes yet. will look tonight, long as it hold till next weekend as im on a run through Sailsbury plains tomorrow...
Just a few more jobs to do now...
Wish I didnt keep puting them off !!!!!

Andy

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 16:44:43 »
If you just want to change the swivel seal, the easiest way I find is to unbolt the calipre, hang it up out of the way without disturbing the hydraulics

Crack off the steering joints required to release that hub
Then undo the ring of bolts that hold the whole hub onto the axle, you can then withdraw the whole hub and halfshaft assembly in one go

Dont forget to get a gasket to replace the hub to axle one

Make sure you can undo all the bolts on the hub before you remove them, sometimes they can be a swine and may need some easing spray to soak then first
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 19:58:13 »
That springy thing is part of the oil seal, if it's come adrift you may have a problem.

Just a tip but with the one-shot I like to fill the swivel via the stub axle (more difficult on an ABD car, pointless in fact) as this gets the grease straight into the CV joint and thus flung on to the to swivel bearing.

Don't be surprised if the one-shot looks moire like oil after a couple of months either.

BTW, I've taken to using Lucas oil's hub oil rather than one-shot.  The top bearing gets lubricated better and it leaks no worse than one-shot becasue it's a tacky oil.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 22:01:37 »
Thanks for the replys guys, will pop a new seal on next weekend

Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal