AuthorTopic: Winch  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Guy90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winch
« on: December 27, 2004, 23:26:26 »
I have the chance of a PTO Superwinch and bumper. Good thing or should i pass?

Guy

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 09:23:53 »
they always strike me as being on the large side - I think that these are the ones seen on the utlility motors arent they?

I beleive that they are very reliable.

Guy,  u need a winch!
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 09:31:53 »
Depends on how good the deal is I would say.

They are very good in terms of pulling power, but tend to be quite slow.
They won't overheat or get less efficient with heavy use, but you do need the engine running ;-)

You'll probably need to look at the front springs once you've fitted it, but that's true of any winch setup.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Winch
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 14:43:38 »
a mates got the hydrolic version o the superwinch pto (same winch just got a hydrolic motor where the shaft goes in) & now that he's reset the valve bloke it can out pull an 8274,if its cheap id say take it
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 18:57:59 »
If it's an H14 like mine, it will outpull anything. The main draw back is that it bu99ers up your approach angle unless you're feeling like doing some serious mods to your vehicle. You will need to uprate your front springs - my 110 has 90 rears on the front, as this winch and bumper are seriously heavy. So long as the correct pto and all the drive shafts, uj's and brackets are there, it should be fairly straight forward to fit. You don't need to uprate your battery as you would with an electric winch, so saving cost there. As for speed, you have five forward gears to chose from, although I wouldn't recommend any above second for recovery. Remember you're getting about £3000 worth of winch and bumper here for what? £365 in my case. What a bargain!!
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 22:22:08 »
Iain,

Is exactly like yours! All the bits are there including the bumper for £350. Will be fitted for free (it's a mate).

Do need a winch for recovery purposes (other people,not me) and this is cheap (compared to a Warn) and no fiddling with electrics etc. Was looking to upgrade springs etc to a two inch lift in any case.

As you say doesn't do wonders for the approach angle but very few winches do. Anyway it's a big heavy thing so I'll just plough my way though.

Deal is to be done tomorrow and hopefully fitted in the next week.

Guy

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 22:26:18 »
I'd go for it Guy, especially if it's not for self-recovery.

Let us know how you get on.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 00:24:01 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
I'd go for it Guy, especially if it's not for self-recovery.

Let us know how you get on.

Of course not. When have I ever been stuck :?  :? .

Er Whaddon :shock: . Where I was pulled free by Iain and his H14! Not intending to do a lot of self recovery but will be of some (slow) use if I do! Not as if I would be in a hurry!

Guy

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 13:28:51 »
Quote from: "Guy90"
Not as if I would be in a hurry!

You can't afford to be with a 2.5D  ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 21:22:08 »
If you need any photos taking of the drive shaft routing etc., give me a shout. I remember I had to drill four holes in the front crossmember and use rivnuts to attach the front uj bracket, and also had to get a bracket to lower the steering damper out of the way, but the rest was a very straight forward bolt -on job. Oh , just remembered, I have fitted a steering guard across where the pto hangs below the chassis rails. Not sure if this applies to you though as I think you have a different transfer box and your pto might not hang down as much.
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 00:09:59 »
Iain,

Cheers. Guy who I am buying from already has one fitted to his so we are fairly confident of getting it on (his is a V8 but can't be that diffrent). Think we might have the same transfer box. I'm a J reg too although lacking a turbo!!!

Is it a standard steerring guard you fitted or something you made up. I have a Southdown one on at the moment and the steering damper passes though it at one end. Not a lot of room for dropping it out of the way if I need to.

Do you know what the all up weight is? I'm guessing with winch, bumper, cable etc it must be around 70KG. Sound about right?

Guy

Offline Petergg

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 09:35:55 »
Guy
Are you going to do the ulltimate this year? if so good luck :D

Peter

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 17:06:03 »
My steering guard is of unknown origin as i got it from Sodbury sortout, but I guess any steering guard will do so long as it is same width as chassis rails. I just drilled a couple of holes in each side of mine and through the chassis rails and bolted it on with long bolts. As for the weight, yes I reckon 70 - 80 kgs. I could just about pick the winch and bumper up, so yeah, about the weight of a body...ooer..have I said too much?
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
Winch
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 21:41:53 »
Quote from: "Petergg"
Guy
Are you going to do the ulltimate this year? if so good luck :D

Peter

Of course Uncle Pete. How can I fail with my new winch. It's coming from V8Pete!

I'll be down on the 9th.

Guy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal