AuthorTopic: 200 TDi Electrical Fun  (Read 607 times)

Offline Timbob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200 TDi Electrical Fun
« on: August 14, 2007, 15:14:48 »
Greetings all. I appreciate the solution to this problem is most likely obvious but it is driving me spare! My horn, interior light and headlamp flasher wont work. I am aware that this is a shared circuit, fuse ok, power at fuse point, no power at interior light, no power at horn.(I can only find one wire to horn, no earth? Does it earth through mounting?) I know it is probably a bad earth or connection, but where? Ive wasted an entire day taking it to bits and getting nowhere. Is there a relay on this circuit? My understanding of the physics of electrics is poor. I only know what ive fixed. Please, any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks, Tim
My landy makes my job seem almost worthwhile

Offline unknownmanxman

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
200 TDi Electrical Fun
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 17:24:05 »
Have you put a test meter on the fuse?
Jon - The Unknownmanxman

I have taken a vow of poverty - to annoy me, send money

2005 - Defender 90 TD5
1991 - Defender 90 200Tdi - See the spec http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=36
PTO H14W SE - one of a kind im told
2 Door, 90" RR - 43% Magic

Series 1 V8 trialler

Isle of Man GLASS Area Rep

Offline muddysteve

Attack Member
200 TDi Electrical Fun
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 17:34:39 »
be warned that circuit runs all over the place (purple wire)

i had a problem with the fuse blowing making the horn,stereo,headlamp flash etc not work

turned out to be a short on the loom by the rear crossmember where the loom exits the chassis and goes up into the tail light cluster
Steve                www.lanerovers.co.uk    www.surreyoffroaders.co.uk

Offline Timbob

Attack Member
200 TDi Electrical Fun
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 20:35:44 »
Thanks for your replies, I have put a multimeter across the fuse point and had 12V. So feasibly the fault could even be at the back of the vehicle? Ive had real trouble tracing everything and cannot find a common earth. Is the horn really meant to only have a positive feed? No discernable earth? This has wasted so much of my time already, it would be easy to make the int light work but it doesnt really solve anything, especially come MOT time. Doesnt help that the loom has been butchered by previous owners either. Got home today to find the NS front spring has collapsed. Oh joy. Thanks again.

Offline Timbob

Attack Member
200 TDi Electrical Fun
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 21:41:27 »
I require the opinion of someone smarter than me please. I applied a 12V feed to the wire on the interior light switch, I now have a functioning interior light; if I press the horn button?! The ohmmeter shows no tangiable earth at the interior light itself, but one at the switch. Should I remake an earth at the light itself?
Please advise, I am most confused

AbyssDJ

200 TDi Electrical Fun
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:49:02 »
heheheh... i know this one ;) its a fuse... but which one is the fun part. i had exactly the same problem a week ago, and it took ages to suss it out. follow the wiring for any purple cable in the wiring diagram, and check ALL the fuses that they connect to.

the wiring on the purple (ie. constant 12v) is really wierd in some bits..... why the hell they did it the way they did i dont know.

Offline Timbob

Attack Member
200 TDi Electrical Fun
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 18:47:11 »
Thankyou muchly. I assumed the only fuse involved was that one serving the circuit. Not myriad others. I assume there are fuses other than those behind the fuse cover?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal