AuthorTopic: Do all of the RRC's sit lower at the back than the front  (Read 1222 times)

Offline AndyN

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Do all of the RRC's sit lower at the back than the front
« on: August 13, 2007, 22:18:25 »
Mine sits about an inch and a half lower at the rear than at the front, is this normal as ive seen quite a few like it but it just doesnt look right.

I ve seen somewhere that you can get better rear springs that the police and commercial spec motors were fitted with but are they worth bothering with?

And if they just sag with age and should be replaced, what aftermarket spring/shocks do you guys and girls run on yours?

I'd be grateful of any advice as i'm new to all this, Andy.

Guardian.

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 23:10:18 »
springs are shot mate, nice new set will sort you out.
they just sag with age, like me.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 23:40:50 »
The back springs were designed to be soft, the rear end is supplimented by the Boge self-leveling unit but this won't do anything when the car is stationary. I think your springs are tired but does it bottom out?

Discos have heavier rear springs as they don't have the self-leveller, or the EFi had the red/whites as a heavy duty option, the standard spring should be progressive.  With the red/whites I expect you will see the back end go up above standard.

Standard ride height is 790mm from floor to wheelarch eyebrow on standard 205 A/T.

Some folks think even the police spec (deisel front springs and red/white backs) are too soft and wallowy, they are definitely better with ARBs.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:16:07 »
I've just nipped out and measured them and both sides of the rear are exactly level at 785mm.

maybe im imagining things!

It doesnt bottom out although over those cushion type speed humps it does seem to wobble a bit at the rear unless you go over it dead square, and it doesnt feel any more wallowy than my old shogun did. weird

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:24:13 »
That wobbliness over speed bumpsis beczause the back end sits on an A fram connected at the top of the axle, it raises the roll centre of the car amiking it stable in high speed corners but at the expense of lateraql stability over rough ground.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:34 »
I'm happy now.  its sounds as though my RR isn't knackered, and the only 4x4 i had before this was a leaf sprung old pajero so the a frame and coils setup is all new to me. learn something new every day,  thanks.

Now to sort the electrics out!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 00:38:27 »
If that's it in your avatar it looks sound :)

Offline AndyN

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 20:52:22 »
It is the red one in my avatar... mot'd, taxed, all for the grand sum of £500. i've got some little niggly things to do but i'm well chuffed with it.

i'm going to sound like a right plonker now but once i parked it on level ground the rear height looked fine (my drive is on a downward slope!) thanks for the measurements though.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 13:04:59 »
The other thing that will happen if you park on a slope is that the car will lean to one side because of the transmission brake, so if you park facing uphill it will look really soft on the rear RHS.

Offline Dave Rogers

Attack Member
Saggy Springs
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 10:29:42 »
Depends on what you want your rangie to do, if it's an everyday family car then progressive springs are the best to go for, if it feels a bit soft or leans on corners, try putting good quality gas shocks on the back, can make a real difference!
I've used +3" EX heavy duty Disco springs on mine because of the gas tank and recovery gear I carry so mine sits higher.

It's down to your preference!
My car doesn't float, my boat doesn't like mud, therefore the perfect boys with their toys solution!

CRAG Member

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal