AuthorTopic: diff oil  (Read 344 times)

Offline disco maniac

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
diff oil
« on: August 13, 2007, 13:45:17 »
whilst taking the front n/s hub off i noticed that there was rust starting to form around the front locking nut, and when i changed the diff oil it was a grey colour and full of bubbles.

am i right in thinking that i have a blockage somewhere stopping the bearings being lubricated.
and why is the diff oil like that.

any ideas greatly appreciated

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
diff oil
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 15:55:21 »
The diff oil should never get into the bearings.  It's grey because it's old and has picked up metal during use.  Bubbles, had you just driven it or something?

The hub should be full of grease, the swivel then full of EP90 or one-shot hub grease.  If the locknuts are rusty then the bearing seal has let water in, the bearings NEED cleaning ASAP before they rust and the swivel may also need a change of oil.  Likely as not the stubb alxe will have corroded where the outer hub seal runs and the seal will also be damaged.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline disco maniac

Attack Member
diff oil
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 17:16:34 »
thanks for that rrb.

i've now stripped the hub and ordered new bearings and seals.

on closer inspection it looks as though mud has got into the bearing and dried it out. i will have to keep an eye on it as there is a slight score on the stub axle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal