AuthorTopic: Jimny clutch  (Read 3003 times)

Offline parsons104

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Jimny clutch
« on: August 12, 2007, 14:33:33 »
Hi everyone,
             I'm in dia need of a new clutc as the bite point is far far too high and i'm not keen on getting caught short on the motorway.
      I'm looking at putting one of the new paddle clutches in which has springs. I do mostly road work but it has been known to get ragged about in the mud. I was hoping for some advice regarding if this is the correct option and if so where/who to buy from.

Also I've never done a clutch in one  of these. Am I right you can do it without removing the engine?

Thanks

Henry

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
Jimny clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 22:43:40 »
I'd stick with a std clutch, may be a heavy duty one if you do mainly road work, as the paddle clutch can be heavy and rather harse in action. Clutch swap can be done with engin in situ, you have to remove the transfer box (fairly simple), remove all the gear box mounts and move it back as far as it will go. This gives just enough room to get the clutch out. The problem is there is hardly enough room to get an alignment tool in, I made one with an appropriate size nut and bolt!. The next problem is once the weight of the gearbox is removed the engin tilts fprwarg and unless you can tilt it back its impossible to get the gear box to mate up again. Oh almost forgot, you have to remove the starter motor which is an absolulte b'tard of a job as the upper bolt goes into a none captive nut which is impossible to get to with a spanner, I endded up cutting a 12mm ring spanner in half to mke the job easier. The first time I did a clutch this bolt took 3hrs to remove, as it was tight due to rust and mud and 10mm longer than it needed to be!!! All the best, let me know if you come up with any short cuts, I have got it down to the point where I can change a clutch in less than a day!!!!!
..V..

Offline jims jimny

Attack Member
Jimny clutch
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 16:53:07 »
i got mine from  www.techniclutch.com its a standard clutch with a 30% upgrade , good service aswell ordered on wed turned up fri fitted over the weekend
 part no 9742 uprated fast Rd HD suzuki jimny 1.3
 fone no  0800 083 41 42

it worked out cheaper than a standard one aswell £105 inc vat/delivery
( that was in FEB tho )

hope this helps  jim
mods so far  2"procomp suspension  
205/75/15 colway mt
diff breathers
t-case protection plate
snorkel/piper cross filter + loads more

Offline parsons104

Attack Member
Jimny clutch
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 17:45:59 »
I've heard of a 30% upgrade but what does that mean? is the clutch plate 30% thicker?

Also are even the sprung paddle cluthes heavy? Someone on the phone said they're just like a normal clutch to drive but he was the dealer.  :lol:

Thanks

Henry

Offline jims jimny

Attack Member
Jimny clutch
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 18:05:46 »
just the springs are beefier i think  fone them up and ask
   a,int noticed any difference with mine on or off road ie clutch feel i mean

jim