AuthorTopic: 101 Brake Compensater  (Read 1196 times)

Offline L90OOK

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Somerset
  • Referrals: 0
101 Brake Compensater
« on: August 08, 2007, 09:42:39 »
My mate has just got a 101 & the only thing needed to get it through it's MOT is the rear brake compensator valve.  Does anyone know if these can be rebuilt or exchanged?
Even better does anyone have one lying around??
Cheers

Here's a piccy of the 101...we collected it on Sat...£1200 bargain! 8)
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
101 Brake Compensater
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 14:13:09 »
I think they are expensive and tricky to get hold of :(

Does this thread help?

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
101 Brake Compensater
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 19:55:27 »
The brake compensator valves are fitted on a lot of light commercial vans, and some cars too, they are a common fail point, but sometimes you can get them working with a lot of working the mechanism and oiling, at the end of the day all the unit does is restrick the flow of brake fluid to the rear axle reducing the ability to lock up the wheels on heavy braking when unladen

You could get one of these and retro fit it into the vehicle, they all do the same job, at different pressures

If it was not there at all, it has been known to pass the mot, like a lot of things like this

A last resort would be remove it fit a standard brake pipe system, mot at another test station (seen this done a few times)

As you would not probably be putting it through the heavy strain loaded like it would have been in service this would suffice

Not actually worked on 101s very much, although driven a few, I know they are a heavy drive, especially the hard top version
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
101 Brake Compensater
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 20:05:53 »
Thanks all...I managed to get it working after plenty of wd40, mole grips & a large pry bar  :shock:
It was stuck in after being sat for about 2 years, so the back brakes would lock up first...interesting drive!!
Now fully MOT'd ready for it's camper conversion.
Cheers
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
101 Brake Compensater
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 23:08:57 »
Quote from: "hobbit"

A last resort would be remove it fit a standard brake pipe system, mot at another test station (seen this done a few times)

I've spoken to a couple of 101 owners who have broken brake valves and they have all said that the trucks are lethal to drive unloaded without them.

I'd definately look at fitting something even if it was a manual valve.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
101 Brake Compensater
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 13:44:09 »
mine was seized when we bought it. I took it off and boiled the thing, works fine now  :shock:

I've spoken to a couple of 101 owners who have broken brake valves and they have all said that the trucks are lethal to drive unloaded without them.

I think this may apply to a gs but the difference between a loaded ambi and an unloaded one is relatively little.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
101 Brake Compensater
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 14:43:19 »
Quote from: "climbingchris"

I think this may apply to a gs but the difference between a loaded ambi and an unloaded one is relatively little.

That is what I was thinking about, the command post and ambulance hard tops are pigs to drive for roll
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal