AuthorTopic: TDi overheated  (Read 612 times)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
TDi overheated
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:09:16 »
Last night Julies TDi overheated.  I hadn't realised but the rad sprang a leak and dumped the coolant, first I knew was the guage shot up to the red.

By the time I got off the motorway it had cooled down to normal, but there was a lot of water missing.

Now when I start it up water gushes from the rad or if I take the expansion tank cap off it looks like it's bubbling through the coolant.

The hole in the rad is BIG, it won't hold water now even stood still.

So, has the head gasket gone too now?  could it just be the water pump forcing the coolant out or am I clutching at straws? do I put a rad on first and see?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
TDi overheated
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:35:14 »
Try sealing the holes in the cooling system and pressure test the cooling system. You need something like this  I'm sure there're cheaper versions out there though.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
TDi overheated
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 16:24:37 »
I had a chat with my mate (to see if he had one I could borrow).  I removed the serpentine belt and tried running it again only to get covered in water, so I disconnected the fuel shut off solenoid so I could crank it for a long time (damn thing starts so well with a good battery) and sure neough you can see regular pulses in the geyser that now lives under the bonnet.

Head gasket it is then, just hope the engine is ok other than that.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal