AuthorTopic: How many Pinzgauer owners out there ?  (Read 10581 times)

Offline DumptruckGB

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How many Pinzgauer owners out there ?
« on: August 01, 2007, 22:22:41 »
Hello All ,

Does anyone know how many Pinzgauer owners that are out there ?? Who are active on this forum..G

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
Re: How many Pinzgauer owners out there ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 22:24:28 »
Quote from: "DumptruckGB"
Hello All ,

Does anyone know how many Pinzgauer owners that are out there ?? Who are active on this forum..G

looks good :) id have one :)

Whats the cost of one ?
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline DumptruckGB

Attack Member
Pinzgauer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 22:26:48 »
There does'nt get much better ,

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline tarcus

Attack Member
Re: Pinzgauer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 08:54:07 »
Quote from: "DumptruckGB"
There does'nt get much better ,

They're certainly good fun, although could do with more engine power and disc brakes, power steering would be nice too..

I think there is one more on here but he doesn't seem to be active any more.

Is that a proper 718 or a 712 with a conversion, or even something odd I saw recently, a 1st gen machine with a fake nose extension to make it look like a 2nd gen!!

edit: seen another one of your posts, it's a proper 718, jammy git ;-)

Check out the yahoo groups pinzgauer list, it's mostly yanks but a few brits, including one who lives in your area with a 718, in fact might even be you (is that you Hesketh?).  He is organising a pinz play-day in December.
Ian Rawlings
North Dorset, Pinzgauer 712M, FoDRoW member

Offline tarcus

Attack Member
Re: How many Pinzgauer owners out there ?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 09:08:35 »
Quote from: "Brian the Sn@il"
looks good :) id have one :)

Whats the cost of one ?

A 712M is about £10,000, the 4x4 version (a 710) has recently risen in price to match the 6x6 price.  The one that dumptruckgb has though is a 718, they range from £20k upwards IIRC.  The main differences between the two is that the 718 has a better engine (much needed), disc brakes (useful), power steering (useful), much more refined on the road.

The build quality isn't supposed to be as good though and some parts are allegedly hard to replace, and they're much more complicated than the simpler early machines.  Think series landy versus new-model Defender.

I reckon I'd go for the new one if I had the cash though, almost good enough to use as an everyday car, which the 1st gen machines certainly aren't.  Ideally I'd like both though, 1st gen for fooling about in, 2nd gen for some serious work.
Ian Rawlings

Offline DumptruckGB

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:52:04 »
Good to see a fellow Pinzgauer nut out there .I am totally up for this Pinzgauer funday when is it and where is it ??..

Offline DumptruckGB

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:54:05 »
I know quite a few other Pinzgauer drivers now , (Land-rover converts) if there is more feedback about this funday , i should be able to round quite a few heads up to come ..G

Offline tarcus

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 11:04:00 »
OK I have pm'd you a request for an email address to give to the chap organising the day.  Here's his blurb;

Hi everyone!

This is an early request for expression of interest to see whether
there would be interest in me running a Pinzgauer and Haflinger driving
day on the military ranges south west of Farnham, Surrey.

It is likely to be one day over the Christmas week, possibly a weekday.
Camping on military ground is not possible, but there are B&Bs in the
area.

I will be organising this as part of my All Wheel Drive Club activities
( www.AWDC.co.uk ) and anticipate the cost at £30 per vehicle.

I'd be grateful if people could let me know what they think, how many
might be interested and so on. Also, where to notify our Haf friends!
Ian Rawlings

Offline DumptruckGB

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 11:35:46 »
Ok thanks . I have sent you a PM..

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:58:10 »
One of my mates has recently gone over to Switzerland? and bought a left hooker from a disposal sale over there. He didn't pay a lot for it really, but got hit by a few "import" taxes on his way back.

He now has it MOT'd and registered on a UK plate and is loving it.

its a 6x6 ambulance body that he is converting to a camper to use on rally events as rally radio. He's already done a few since having it like the Ras o daftodil and I think he went up to the Baja.

These are incredible off road as I'm sure you'll agree but a bit sluggish and thirsty on the road. My mates is a petrol one :shock: but plenty space for gas tanks to run it on gas.

Next time I see him I'll persuade him to get onto mudclub.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline tarcus

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 15:16:22 »
Quote from: "crazymac"
These are incredible off road as I'm sure you'll agree but a bit sluggish and thirsty on the road. My mates is a petrol one :shock: but plenty space for gas tanks to run it on gas.

Next time I see him I'll persuade him to get onto mudclub.

The later ones are pretty good on fuel and much quicker, although the first batches of diesel ones weren't much better than the petrols apparently.  There are at least two diesel conversions around, one can allegedly be done commercially for about £4,000, the other is much better but only in Canada at the moment, but someone is planning on posting some guides onto various pinz websites.  You can fit LPG for ££££ if you don't mind driving around with a container of pressurised gas in the back....
Ian Rawlings

Offline DumptruckGB

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 14:34:11 »
SPD made approx 24,500 Series 1 Pinzgauer and only 5512 series 2 were produced before it was all moved to the UK in 2000..The Series 2's are quite rare birds and not often come up for sale ....The LPG conversion is not bad and the diesel conversion is also not to bad but a lot of work the get the motor in the Pinz , but does it go when it in ...

Offline tarcus

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 15:01:58 »
Yeah I've thought of doing conversion work, but the cost of adding disc brakes, power steering and a new engine would probably cost not far off the difference between buying a gen 1 pinz and a gen 2 one..  Plus of course you wouldn't get the auto gearbox and quieter road manners!  I don't think I'd like to be able to drive my pinz at 80MPH, it's scary enough at 55MPH..

I got my gen 1 cheap at £7,000, an equivalent at full price would have cost over £10,000 but I got it from an arms company who were going to blow it up to test out landmine armour.  They got two new machines plus a spare chassis free from the manufacturer though so mine was surplus to requirements, I put in a daft offer and they accepted ;-)
Ian Rawlings

Offline DumptruckGB

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 21:13:57 »
Sounds like you in the right place at the right time , well done ...The way i see Pinzgauer is not such as a vehicle but a tool for traveling extreme terrain .Therefore you upgrade it and keep it .You have one now so keep improving it bit by bit ..Pinzgauer's are things that once you got one you keep it , as you know there is'nt much better ...To upgrade to disc brakes for sure is a good idea , its been done quite few times ...And the noise well  :shock: , there is very good sound proofing out there ..I drove a 712K Pinz last year that had been fully soundproofed and had descent tyrs , and what a difference it made it  was like stitting in something normal...

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 09:10:26 »
Quote from: "tarcus"
south west of Farnham, Surrey.

that'll be slab common or broaxhead common then... in bordon.

Rob
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline diggerdog36

Attack Member
  • I fixed my CD auto changer!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 01:13:25 »
I dont own one but ive driven them, good off road but the guy infront of me put his on its side, where the landys had just driven.

Heard a story of an RAF chinook lowering one onto HMS Bulwark, the Marines hadnt put the handbrake on and when it was released from the chinook it rolled off the deck into Davy Jones' locker, the officers said it was so quiet on the bridge that you could hear a Pinz drop!!!
2000 W Discovery Td5 ES

2" lift, Superwinch Epi9.5,  Mantec Snorkel, General Grabber AT2

Avoid employing unlucky people......simply bin half the applications!!!

Offline tarcus

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 07:42:31 »
Quote from: "diggerdog36"
I dont own one but ive driven them, good off road but the guy infront of me put his on its side, where the landys had just driven.

I'm told the 4x4 versions can be tippy if not driven carefully due to the rear being so light when not loaded so the suspension doesn't give much.  The 6x6s are much more stable due to the design of the rear suspension and are all round much better off-road.  However they don't go on their side much so I don't think it's an inherent problem, plus of course I've been at 4x4 sites where a landy has gone on its side where other landys had just driven!
Ian Rawlings

Offline chris.hunt22

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 18:38:10 »
I have an MOD one in at work which has rolled, not much damage but they are struggling getting a rear door for it, has some nice BFG Mud Terrains on but they have put the writing to the inside (supose the Army won't want to be seen as advertising).  I have only moved it twice but does seem a good bit of kit (mind you we get Foden 6x6 recovery wagons in which can recover a 100 tonne tank, they are massive!!)
'If in doubt, give it a clout!'

1996 Discovery Tdi XS Bright Red
Loads of mods - NOW GONE :-(

2000 Discovery Td5 ES Manual - soon to be chipped!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal